The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, April 18, 2011

.
Bug



Just announced today is the new rendition of the VW "New Beetle". I still refer to it by its name from 1998 (New Beetle) to differentiate it from the original Beetle (~1937 through 1979). The new vehicle is mildly interesting to look at and I am sure it will be enjoyable to drive. But both this generation of the New Beetle and the prior generation of the New Beetle, are really just regular cars chopped, sliced, and dressed up to appear reminiscent of the original Beetle. So, I am on the ambivalent side about the vehicles.



The above is an image of the first generation "New Beetle" from 1998. It quickly became a "chick car".... not a "chick magnet".... but "chick car" which only females wanted to be seen driving. The top image of the new design is meant to lure males back into the fold. Again, I am rather ambivalent about either version. Yet, look at this beauty:



This is not my vehicle, but it sure as hell does look like my bug I drove around back in the day during a significant part of my college schooling. There are so many fond memories associated with that beast:

1. Driving around all over the country with friends and family, feeling free and relaxed and easy-going.

2. Late night drives home from the lab (during graduate school) on a warm summer evening. I can recall the slight humidity in the air, the sunroof open and my being able to look up at the stars. Having a pipe while I drove home, relaxing with a bit of music quietly playing in the background.

3. Thinking of all the crazy ways I could fit more and more things into the silly trunk and storage areas. Groceries were often a challenge, but many things were.



The above is also NOT my vehicle, but as I have alluded to before, I have an old Beetle I acquired as a fixer upper to mess around with. I am not in any sort of hurry, and only play with it when I am of the mood. But, the above image is a bit like how I envision my new beast to look when I eventually get her going sometime in the future.

PipeTobacco

9 Comments:

Blogger muddleglum said...

That orange thing is one of them thar new-fangled "super" beetle, which I don't regard as a real beetle.

The last is a real beetle. I drove one for several years. The engine was fine, but the body was held together mainly by the paint.

Monday, 18 April, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, the first car I drove with my brand new licence.

Monday, 18 April, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

After the beetle came the super beetle, which was just a fancier beetle with better front suspension.

All beetles after them haven't been that inspiring and they are too damn expensive.

And I know how to fix the old beetles, once worked in a Ford dealership that also sold them.

Hand over your old beetle and no one gets hurt.

Monday, 18 April, 2011  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

My memory of the VW was a VW van a friend of mine owned. During the sixties I worked at a survival school in northern Maine and commuted back and forth from southern Maine every two weeks. When it was my friends time to drive he would take the van - and during the winter we froze our asses off because of the inefficient heater - it was miserable to drive in snow and hill climbing - you could walk faster.

Tuesday, 19 April, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Bugs. Had several as a youngster. My favorite was an orange one with a 1600 engine, think that was right, they had power to spare. I understand why Buzzard hated the van, they had a 1400 engine and a heavy van to pull around. No kidding they were doggy.

But I can't help but wonder in your memories... what was in the pipe?

Hug a Bug.

Tuesday, 19 April, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

To wake a VW van up you only had to put a Porsche engine in it.

Wednesday, 20 April, 2011  
Anonymous College Papers said...

Great work.Thanks for sharing this useful information.

Saturday, 30 April, 2011  
Anonymous Leisa Dreps said...

The third photo looked similar to my former Bug, except for the color. Mine was a red one. It was given to me by my dad as a birthday gift. I was able to use it for a few more years. Sadly, I had to give it up because it was already giving away. Still, my love for her never fades. I do love the modern version too.

Friday, 11 January, 2013  
Anonymous Carson Wininger said...

Sturdy build and make – check. Vintage appeal – check. Longevity – check! It is hard not to fall in love with the Bug. For one, this vehicle has been around for a long time and it never lost its charm. Many are still captivated by this beauty and we all know why. :-)

Wednesday, 23 January, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home