The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, February 12, 2018

Potentially Putting Down My Pipe

I am seriously considering trying to force myself to put down the pipe for Lent, with the greater hope that perhaps I will do this successfully and then actually continue and quit for good.  I do not know if I have the stamina or dedication to do so, however.  I do not know if it will be a fruitless attempt.

My feelings about smoking a pipe ebb and flow.  There are times when it seems so pleasant and so wonderful and such an ingrained part of my nature that it feels a part of me and my personality.  There are other times where I curse myself for my weakness and foolishness. 

In terms of thinking about the pipe, I find there are really only FOUR times in a day where I feel eager to have a pipe, and of those four, one is FAR more the one I look most forward to.  The four times I especially enjoy having a pipe are a) within about an hour when I wake up, b) when I get home from work, c) when I am ready to sit down and relax after dinner for the evening, and d) when I am getting ready for bed.  Of these four, the one that seems the most ardently looked forward to is the one immediately when I arrive home after work. 

In thinking about these patterns, I may be able to figure out a way to deal with them better.  If, that is, I do go through with what I am considering for Lent.  We shall see.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger JACK said...

I think there is some data that pipe smokers have a longer life span than non-pipesmokers. Maybe that demographic is more educated and eat and exercise more. What are your reasons for wanting to quit? Do you inhale? If not, quitting may be worth the effort. BTW do you have another person to meet with for pipes and libations now that your FIL has gone to his heavenly reward? Nice thought to give up for Lent, however. Please keep us posted on your plan.

Monday, 12 February, 2018  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

No, I really have no one any longer for pipes and libations who lives in my locale. I am a lone wolf. Actually, other than a small glass of wine on New Years Eve, I have not had any libations since October, when my Father in law was hospitalized. He was my "drinking buddy" in many ways.

Monday, 12 February, 2018  
Blogger Jono said...

You may also be reducing your chances for developing various oral cancers. Perhaps substituting a different ritual might help,such as having a lemon drop.

Wednesday, 14 February, 2018  
Blogger Jane said...

The hardest part of quitting smoking is making the decision to quit. IMHO.

Friday, 16 February, 2018  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

For Lent I am doing a daily gratitude post on my blog and on faceBook.

I hope you manage to give up your pipe - if that is what you want. I find it's easier to stick to resolutions for Lent, I have no idea why but setting my own time span just doesn't work for me.

Sunday, 18 February, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home