The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, May 07, 2018

Why Write Here?



A friend of mine, Schrodinger's Dog, commented on my blog a few days ago about a comic he saw that reminded him of my writings here.  It was a humorous comment from him, because the comic referenced how a person in the comic liked TALKING about the running he did more than actually doing it.  It was a fun and humorous association, and I thank SD for the comment. 

However, it did get me to thinking about why I write here on this blog.  I have been thinking about it on-and-off since then.   So, I thought I would try to explain it here.  Those of you who read here regularly... please know that I do greatly appreciate your comments... your comments ARE a big factor that encourages me to write this blog.  It is a way for me to foster friendships with you in ways that are important to me. 

Why I write about the things I do here, is probably easiest for me to state as it is a place for me to write things I think about... things that people in my tangible, day-to-day world have little or no interest in hearing.  It is also a place where I can express thoughts that go beyond what is my role in life.  What do I mean by this?

Well, in my tangible, day-to-day world,  I have come to realize that basically I am here to serve... to do things for others.  I used to have delusions of grandeur where I thought I would someday do something "spectacular" be this write a best selling novel, or publish Nobel Prize earning research, or become an important artist, musician, or photographer, or be revolutionary in something of value somewhere.  I long ago realized that is simply a "pipe dream" (pun somewhat intended). 

I realized that I am basically here to serve others.  To try to help as best as I can.  To work hard to try to teach well, to work hard to try to be a good husband and support my wife in her needs, to try to be a good father to my kids, to try to be a good person in my community.  I work and work to try to meet the needs others have and try to juggle these needs as gracefully as I can every day without messing up... or at least not messing up too badly.... and then work some more to try to fix any mistakes, problems, or difficulties I do cause.  That really *is* it.  It is my role in life.  I accept this.  I have come to realize that really is my role, my lot.  To try and to keep trying and to try some more to be helpful to others.

But, and here is the part about writing here.... but... I am also a person who ruminates a lot and is filled with a sometimes overwhelming array of thoughts.  Thoughts about about damn near anything. But, I know that for the most part, no one really has much interest in 95+% of the crap that runs around in my head.  But, without somewhere for these thoughts to go... the just continue to spin and spin and spin in my mind in a wearying cycle.  I use and I need this blog to be able to get some of these ideas OUT of my mind, at least for a little while.

So.... I try to exercise to become healthier so I can better do my work.... but I need this space here to describe the positives and the negatives I find in trying to do this exercise  over these many years.  I have tried for a helluva lot of years to do what is "better" in terms of pipe smoking, and my struggles or efforts get a voice here, so I do not burden those who do not want to hear my ups and downs.  The same is for the hundreds of other things I have talked about in the many years I have written here.

The things I write about are the things I tend to need to "get out" of my mind onto paper, so I can let the thoughts go for a while.  The most pressing things tend to rise to the top and become what is on this page,  Lesser issues wait until their importance or significance becomes greater to me.  That is why for long stretches, I suppose, my subjects probably grow rather redundant.  The things I write about are what is affecting me the most at the time I write and are the things I need to say here so I can go and continue with what I need to do, day-to-day.

And, again, those of you who read here.... you may not realize it, but I take your comments to heart.  And, in many ways, they are a tremendous help.  I appreciate them greatly.

PipeTobacco

8 Comments:

Blogger John Going Gently said...

Strangers on a train

That's what I think blogs are.....

Monday, 07 May, 2018  
Blogger Jane said...

I like reading about your thoughts, feelings,and experiences.
Thanks for sharing.

Monday, 07 May, 2018  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Like you I write my blog to empty my brain. Sometimes I feel as if I can't do anything else except write on here because I need to get whatever it is out of the way so I can concentrate on real life again!

My daughter sometimes grumbles at me that she has to find out what I'm thinking by reading my blog and that i should talk to her more. So I'm trying to do that as well. The trouble is when i talk I get flustered and mix up my words but when I write I can plan, edit and delete so that what goes on my blog is just about exactly what i mean.

Friday, 11 May, 2018  
Blogger JACK said...

Hello Professor, All of your readers really enjoy your posts! Please try to post more often. I am disappointed when I check in and there is nothing new. We consider you to be a very interesting and wise friend and really enjoy hearing from you. So post often please! Thanks.

Friday, 11 May, 2018  
Blogger JACK said...

Gone missing? Space alien abduction? We all would like to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Thursday, 17 May, 2018  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

"...I know that for the most part, no one really has much interest in 95+% of the crap that runs around in my head."

Place this post in the remaining 5%. Good job dude.

When I started my blog so long ago, I told myself I did not care if I received comments. I quickly found out a blog without comments, could be a damn lonely waste of bandwidth.

I persevered anyway, and well, here we are 14 years further down the road and all I have to show for it .......

Friday, 18 May, 2018  
Blogger BBC said...

I started my first blog to change the world. LOL

Thursday, 24 May, 2018  
Blogger JACK said...

No posts in three weeks...everything OK?

Monday, 28 May, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home