The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Difficult Weekend, But Persevering


The weekend was quite rough.  I had gone to the local greenhouse and purchased a flowering plant to place on my father's and my father-in-law's grave.  I did this early Saturday.

My wife returned from her trip late Saturday evening.  I thought things were generally ok.  However, we ended up having a bit of a quarrel yesterday.  We have worked through it, but it was not a stellar weekend. 

But, I will persevere.  In trying to look at the positive, I can be thankful for:

1.  Running outside this morning at 5am.  It was already HOT (85 degrees) so I ran without a shirt.  I probably scared off the wildlife because they probably thought a Sasquatch was loose. 

2.  Our air conditioning is working well.  It is needed as we are anticipating another high 90s day today (with heat index above 100). 

3.  I think the mint is growing well enough in the garden that I may already be able to harvest some and may make a watermelon salad with feta cheese and mint.

*  *  *  *  *

Silly "academic" humor for today:

Who was Socrates' worst student?

Mediocrities.

And... who was his busiest student?

The one who had too much on his Plato.

*  *  *  *  *

The above image is one that I inadvertently stumbled across during the weekend.  I think it is very pleasing as an image. 

PipeTobacco


6 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

I love your academic humor PipeTobacco! I may have to use this one! I love mint and feta cheese and watermelon and the salad sounds delicious. If you decide to do the leaf printing you could try out the mint leaves. Just imagine all the lovely leaves you could choose to print in the fall. They would look beautiful printed on watercolour paper, and you could write under each print what the leaf was - a bit of a nature study!

Tuesday, 19 June, 2018  
Blogger BBC said...

My sunflower aren't doing worth a shit this year.

Tuesday, 19 June, 2018  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

When did you plant the mint? Regardless, from my experience, mint cannot be eradicated. Keep an eye on it.

Tuesday, 19 June, 2018  
Blogger Geo. said...

In the Victorian Language Of Flowers, "Virtue" is what is meant by mint. However, your photo makes me want to return to nicotinic meditations in the great outdoors. Enjoyable post, Prof.

Tuesday, 19 June, 2018  
Blogger Jane said...

Watermelon salad sounds so good!

Wednesday, 20 June, 2018  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

mint will take over your garden. I have found a rock perimeter will help contain it.

the Ol'Buzzard

Wednesday, 20 June, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home