The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, June 04, 2018

Pipe Smoking



It has been 112 days since I last smoked a pipe.  In the grand scheme of things.... that is nothing special or amazing.  But it is where I am at.

Some days not smoking a pipe seems "ok".  Some days I would like to smoke my pipe.  And once in a while I still very deeply would like to smoke my pipe.  I am never sure which day it will be.

I *think* about pipes and pipe smoking every day, however.  Every day.

Part of me wants to just say "the hell with it" and go back to them.

Another part of me feels I should keep persevering.  

The one nice thing is that I do not have to be conscious of potentially offending others around me by smelling "pipey".  Years ago this of course was never a cause for worry or concern because smoking was common, and pipe smoking was always the "nicer" variant and so no one looked at you askance.

During the last few years, however, the negative looks and comments have grown even with pipe tobacco and it became a difficult mix of emotions more and more frequently.  With so few people who smoke these days (latest estimate I read is that 14% of adults currently smoke), I felt like a leper.

But, I think back to how it was forty or fifty years ago and how different it was.

PipeTobacco


2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I would like to congratulate you on quitting the way you did, cold turkey. It's not an easy thing to do and I applaud you for it.

My husband was a cigarette smoker for years and years. Then he developed lung cancer and ended up losing his left lung. It's been almost 7 years now, and he's doing great (cancer free and healthy) but it was a hell of a price to pay for an addiction to tobacco. Even after all he went through, he still craved cigarettes for the first couple of years. These days, the smell of smoke is nasty to him though and he talks a lot about how bad he must have smelled back in his smoking days, and he just didn't realize it.

Hang in there, dude. Doing without tobacco is hard, but dealing with possible consequences is MUCH harder.

Monday, 04 June, 2018  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Smoking cigarettes seems to be becoming popular again I fear with young people. Maybe it always has been.

Well done on your achievement for it is an achievement. I hope you keep on keeping on.

Tuesday, 05 June, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home