The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Hot Day & Weekend

We are anticipating weather all weekend long in the mid 90s.  The heat is tolerable and not that big of a deal to me, but the sun can be rough.  I unfortunately burn easily so I have to be careful when the sun is intense. 

I had a really difficult time last evening regarding my pipes.  I came very close to filling a bowl and indulging.  I am not sure why yesterday was so hard.  Perhaps it is a mix of factors:

1.  It was an especially long and intensive day at work, and I have always associated those days with the joy and pleasure of having a pipe when I return home late in the day from work.  The pipe was a reward of sorts for persevering.

2.  My wife being away on a trip perhaps was a part of the reason.  Having her away makes the pattern of the day-to-day become more disheveled and chaotic.... and I believe that chaos is another common time when I have sought comfort in a pipe.

3.  Perhaps Father's Day has something to do with it too.  It is of course coming up this Sunday.  Both my father and my father-in-law were pipe smokers.  Thoughts of them perhaps have been more prominent.  My father passed away 25 years ago, and now with my father-in-law having passed only a few months ago, it is a confusing time. 

4.  Interestingly, the above had me realize as well that (presuming I make it), this coming Father's Day will be the first Father's Day for me where I am not smoking a pipe.  Seems a bit odd to put it in that way.

*  *  *  *  *

What am I happy for today?

1.  I am looking forward to swimming later today at the community pool.

2.  I am looking forward to my wife's return in a few days.

Kind of pathetic, I guess.  At the moment, I cannot think of other items.

PipeTobacco  

6 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

My Dad was a pipe smoker and cigar smoker for many years. The GP told him to stop smoking for health reasons (he was severely asthmatic)and he did so a couple of decades ago. Have you been advised to give up the pipe tobacco? If your life is so miserable without your pipe, couldn't you smoke it occasionally as a treat rather than a regular habit? I don't know the reasons why you gave up your pipe but maybe you would feel just as down if you did smoke again. I hope you enjoyed your swim at the community pool. How's reading your book going?

Friday, 15 June, 2018  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

Your tendency to organize and create lists, etc. dovetails well I think into your efforts to pick up your spirits. So don't think of the number of things you are grateful for. Two on a list is as important as 10 things on a list. In my mind, it is that you found something to be happy for.

Keep chugging.

Friday, 15 June, 2018  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

hey, that's nice stuff to be happy about.

i just finished reading dead souls by gogol. some people call it a russian don quixote. maybe reading don quixote would pick up your spirits.

Saturday, 16 June, 2018  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Billy... what happened to your blog? It is not listed in either of your names anymore.

Saturday, 16 June, 2018  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I smoked a pipe for years but quit smoking in the late eighties. I still have a pipe and tobacco beside my computer and miss the hell out of the comfort of pipe smoking. What could be more relaxing than a pipe and a glass of wine? In my late seventh decade I have considered taking it up again - but my wife...
Thank you for commenting on my blog.
the Ol'Buzzard

Sunday, 17 June, 2018  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

Pipe - I missed your question regarding the plant post a week or so ago. The plant is a Lady's Slipper", a native orchid here in Maine. They are threatened and thus protected. The one in the image is one of 7 I found blooming in the preserve across the street. Population is down this year. Not sure what that means.

Monday, 18 June, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home