The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Ash Wednesday





Today is Ash Wednesday.  It is roughly three weeks later than last year.  Last year, Lent started on February 14th and that was the day I started to refrain from my pipes. 

Even though I have not made a firm plan yet, here at the contenders of what I am considering and will decide upon as Lenten vows this Lenten season:

1.  Consistent, daily upper body strength training.
2.  Work on being more forgiving (this is specifically in reference to three people at the U with whom I have had a great deal of anger about due to their rigid, unkind behaviors).
3.  Possibly a reduction or fasting from coffee, and/or pop (soda) to replace either or both with water.
4.  Possibly refraining from curse words (I may or may not allow "hell" and "damn" still.).
5.  More consistent volunteering for various agencies in my region.

Those are what I have been contemplating as things I potentially need to try to become a better person. I know there are other things I should work on as well, but those five have been the ones that I have most often found my thoughts turning to when I am trying to evaluate my many failings. Perhaps I will have more clarity of what I should do after I finish praying the rosary during my run this morning.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Growing up Roman Catholic I can well remember fasting for Lent, but haven't done so for many years. back then it was giving up things like treats that were the most consistent. As for your fasting considerations, giving up coffee would be a tough one for me as I only have a single cup in the a.m. don't keep soda in the apt. Hell and damn were never really considered "curse" words by me, so I'll pass on that one as well. Volunteering is an odd one in that to me Lent was a time of giving things up, but certainly more in that area is good.

Thanks for your comment on my snowy post today. The building you admired is the mill that we live in and it was shown in one of the photos. I try not to draw attention to where we live, but have mentioned it from time to time. After years of home ownership, we are enjoying this more care-free lifestyle immensely.

Wednesday, 06 March, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

good thing about being a pagan..no rituals..

Wednesday, 06 March, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I forgot about Lent.

Wednesday, 06 March, 2019  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I think positive action would be more beneficial for you than stopping something. Unless it's stopping beating yourself up about things!

I've posted a list of things allegedly from Pope Francis on my blog.

Friday, 08 March, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home