The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, December 09, 2019

Half Marathon



A half marathon is 13.1 miles (21.1 km) in length.   As we get closer to the end of 2019, I find that I have been able to successfully run AT LEAST one 6.2 mile (10 km) run each week.   And, in fact, instead of at least one, I have often ran two, three or four 6.2 mile runs each week.

So, I am still on track to hit my goal.... at least one 6.2 mile run each week for a year.

If I do this through December 31st, I am going to make myself a t-shirt that says:

"52+ 10Ks in 2019!" and it will be my "trophy" for accomplishing this goal.

With the number of 6.2 miles I have been doing each week, my weekly mileage has inched upwards as well:

I used to aim to hit as a minimum, 28 miles (45 km) in a week.   But, I have been typically surpassing that.  My average the last several weeks has been closer to 33-34 miles (53-54 km) per week.

BUT, now I have been thinking about 2020.   I am not sure if I could do it.  But, I am contemplating this as my goal:

1.  I would like to run at least one Half Marathon (13. 1 miles (21.1 km) in one effort) each month in 2020 during my normal daily runs.

2.  I would like to enter and complete one, actual "official" Half Marathon race in 2020.

And, I would like as my prizes...... a) a t-shirt from the race for my trophy, b) a sticker like this that I could get after the official race and put on my vehicle to signify I completed a half-marathon, and c) a home made t-shirt at the end of 2020 stating "12+ Half Marathons in 2020!" or something similar.

I really do not know if I am up for this challenge or not.   Part of me would like it as my goal.  Part of me feels it is only a pipe dream.   Part of me worries I will fail.

I wonder if I will adopt this for 2020?  I figure that I am getting so damn old that if I do not do it now.... I likely could never do it.

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kudos to you for sticking with your running program. The only "running" I do is some fast walking on the treadmill in the gym facilities here in the mill apt. Luckily for us, we don't have to walk outdoors to access the facility. Please do post a photo of the t-shirt for completion of the 52+10Ks as I have every confidence you will accomplish your goal! And, thanks for your recent comment on our Thanksgiving Day get-together.

Monday, 09 December, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home