The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, March 27, 2020

Trying to Establish a "New Normal"

Ok.  I am pushing myself to get back into my "routine" of sorts that approximates what I considered my "normal life" to be before the pandemic. 

Of course, we are all practicing social distancing and are in "lockdown" like most everyone else.  Hopefully, we will continue to remain healthy and not become sick with the virus.   Hopefully the isolation most of us are practicing WILL successfully flatten the curve enough so that folks who have an especially rough time with virus will have available hospital support to recover. 

* * * * *

So.... up until today, I have been spending most all day and evening every day just getting used to manipulating the electronic teaching world and then making all sorts of electronic teaching lectures, tools, etc for my students.  It feels in many ways like starting from scratch like I did so many, many years ago.... sure.... I know the content like the back of my hand.  But, I am used to face-to-face lectures and labs.  Everything about electronic teaching is one, two, or three steps removed from normal face-to-face and requires huge amounts of finessing, fixing, adjusting, creating, and in general, lots of writing to HOPE to get the deeper, more nuanced ideas that come so easily in face-to-face formats. But, I am persevering and working hard. 

* * * * *

The one thing I have maintained in this transition is to RUN.  I have actually been using my running to help cope with stress as well.   I have been typically running about 6.6 miles (11km) every morning.  I chose this amount because it is just a tiny bit over 1/4 of a marathon (26.2 miles, or 42km). It has helped me to be a bit  more even keeled emotionally. 

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's good to see that you are a little less burdened and have the time for a longer post. Carry on.

Saturday, 28 March, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home