The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Dishwasher Wheels


We had gotten a new dishwasher about 6 years ago.  Unfortunately it has been less than stellar.  It washes dishes well, but all sorts of little plastic "doo-dads" were apparently made very cheaply and most of these items that help to hold in position the racks as they slide in and out,  and the wheels that allow the lowest rack roll in and out have failed. 

Failure after this short of a period of time has been quite annoying.  The prior dishwasher in our home was roughly 30 years old.... and every "doo-dad" plastic item worked fully and beautifully all 30 years.  We replaced it mostly because it was noisy as hell and the electronics were starting to fail.... but after 30 years!

Well, I accepted that the new dishwasher had some horrifically cheap plastic parts two or three years ago.  And, so I went back to the appliance store to order new replacement parts for these "doo-dads".... but they said that you had to buy the entire damn rack, because the little plastic parts weren't sold separately.... and each rack with those doo-dads ran somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$250 each!   

I was livid when I first heard this back three years ago, and I vowed to NEVER buy those racks.  On-and-off over these last few years, I have been on the lookout for a junked dishwasher to see if I could get some parts off of it.  Never had any real luck. 

But.... just this past Saturday, I happened to stumble upon a picture on-line of the wheel structure I needed and I kept following the links and found myself ABLE TO ORDER virtually every little piece of plastic "doo-dad" for this infernal dishwasher PIECE-BY-PIECE!!!!!!!! 

I was both ecstatic AND annoyed as hell.  I was ecstatic and found I could order a whole set of every plastic piece I needed to repair and fix everything on the machine.... for a grand total of ~$22.00!!!!!  It should be arriving today or tomorrow and I will be able to get the whole thing fixed up in a few hours!!!!!  But I am also annoyed as hell that the appliance store either bald-faced lied to me about getting the individual parts, or their "corporate policy" prevented them from having these available to order/purchase from the store.  I also feel pretty damn dumb to not have thought of finding these parts in a "back-door" way before this too.    

I will be happy to get this machine running back up to snuff. 

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

I hear your pain. We bought our refrigerator in July 2008. Mechanically, it's holding up well. The plastic bins and other plastic pieces, not so much. Duct tape here, duct tape there. The cost of replacing these cracked and worn-out pieces is ridiculous.

Tuesday, 09 June, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They don't make them like they used to although they do charge more than they used to.

Tuesday, 09 June, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Wow! That's a great saving. Well done for your perseverance.

Tuesday, 09 June, 2020  
Blogger Haddock said...

Where is 250 and where is 22
All these manufacturers come up with these tactics to make the customer cough up more.

Tuesday, 09 June, 2020  
Blogger Geo. said...

Dear Prof., Appliance frustrations understood. Glad you found a solution. So did we. After all 4 kids grew up and scattered across the world, we found ourselves left with 2 dishwashers: Norma and me. Only I have needed new parts, which our health insurance covered. After over 50 years, Norma is still under warranty but has never broke down.

Wednesday, 10 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home