The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Thunder and Power Outage


Random thoughts again, as my mind is scattered:

  • Due to some severe thunderstorms going through my region, we unfortunately lost power for a few minutes late this morning.  The MOST unfortunate aspect of this was that I was very close to being finished with a video lecture I was creating for my students... and unfortunately the platform we are required to use at the U for this purpose streams the material while it is being produced.  When the power went out, and then came on a few minutes later (and followed by an ~10 minute restart time for the Internet system we have at home) the file was lost (not autosaved).  It was very disheartening to have to redo it again as I was perhaps one minute or so from it being finished.  
  • It was very warm when I ran this morning at 5:55am.  It was already 82 degrees Fahrenheit (28 degrees Celsius) which is not the early morning norm yet in these parts.  Usually it has been around 60 degrees F (16 degrees C).  And, it was very, very humid and there was a ~20 mph (~32kph) headwind for over half of my run.   Nothing particularly wrong with the changes, it was just a rather different running experience than I have been used to lately.  My time was a few seconds slower per mile, but not overly significant.  
  • I have been looking around at some interesting NEW recipes for using Swiss chard (a Swiss Chard and chickpea Spanish influenced dish) and for using tomatillos (a cucumber & tomatillo gazpacho).  I am hoping both grow well in the garden this year so I can try these new recipes in addition to more traditional ones I know.  
  • The dishwasher plastic "doo-dads" have arrived!!!!!!   The box is sitting in the garage in "quarantine" until probably Friday, when I can dig in and fix the damn dishwasher!
  • My desire, hunger, passion for smoking my pipes is STILL at the VERY STRONG levels it has been for probably the last 10 or so days.  I still am not sure why NOW it is feeling so intense.  I hope it ebbs back into a lower intensity desire soon.  This very strong yearning *is* quite difficult to ignore and I am not sure how much "resolve" or "gumption" I have left in me to refrain.  
PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

So discouraging to lose all that work at the last minute.

Wednesday, 10 June, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When computers were still young and even before the internet, I remember typing a worksheet on my Atari 800. Then the cat went by and dislodged the very easily dislodgeable power supply. Although I am still not a fast typist, I was even slower back in those early days.

Wednesday, 10 June, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Hubby and I are both really like swiss chard

Wednesday, 10 June, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home