The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Not Sure If....


 

I am not sure if this is only a "pipe dream" or if I may actually be pulling ahead somewhat in my cyborg work?  I am actually a few steps ahead in two of my classes and basically on pace with the other three.  Having that little bit of wiggle room..... not having everything always be being finished at the last possible moment.... I so miss that.  It feels a little bit like it is starting to return.  

I am so NOT used to having things have to be cutting it so close to deadline in my classes.  It is a direct result of having to reformulate damn near everything to be available in a MEANINGFUL electronic format.  Added to that, the amount of time I GET to work on the content development is relatively scant because as I have stated..... so much of my time is devoted to IT duties and e-mail answering.  

Speaking of "pipe dreams"... last night I actually DID have a dream that I recalled this morning.  It was just of me visiting, rummaging around, and chatting at my favorite pipe shop.  Nothing unique or profound.... just a simple exploring of the store sort of dream, talking with the proprietor, and sampling several blends while I was there.  It was a dream that had me wake up feeling quite happy.  And, when I awoke, I could swear I had the lingering flavor of the shop's house blend pipe tobacco on my tongue, and the neurons of my mind seemed to even "feel" that delightful, gentle, oh-so-beautiful cascade of contentment as typically would happen from being awash with the ephemeral, satisfying smoke from my pipe as well.  It was such a wonderful, albeit odd way to feel upon awakening.

It was raining harshly with significant wind when my feet hit the floor at 4:55am.  And, it was a "balmy" 41 degrees F (5 degrees C).  But, with an early meeting this morning, it would be the only time I could get my run in.  I was like a drowned rat upon my return, but I did complete every soggy step of my 9 mile (14.5 km) journey this morning.  I did not see another soul on the trail.  I guess no one was as much of  a damn fool as me to run in the icy cold rain. :)  I am striving for a milestone of sorts, if I can do it.  More about that later IF I am able to actually get closer to that milestone.

At 162 pounds this morning (73.4 kg or 11.5 stone), my BMI was 21.1.  My resting heart rate when I awaken has been hovering around 52-54 bpm.  The heavy rain, high winds, and the darkness of my run this morning did NOT make me lightning-fast by any means, but I did end up running at an 8:54 minute/mile pace (5:30 minute/km pace). When I hit the end of the run, I had an exertion heart rate of 140 bpm, so I did do myself some aerobic good.  Besides looking like a soggy rat... when I stopped running, I quickly grew quite cold.  Having a nice, warm shower before heading to the U was really helpful.

PipeTobacco


 

 


6 Comments:

Blogger Haddock said...

5:30 minute/km is a. good pace.
It is very rare that one can recall the dream one had last night. As the day progresses, the dream fades away.

Thursday, 22 October, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Some time ago, I started keeping a pen and a small pad of paper on my nightstand. When I wake up and even vaguely remember a dream, I write down at least a few basic details if I can remember:

1. Any notable people in the dream, whether personal friends or famous figures.

2. Any recognizable place or places in the dream, often an old workplace or college campus, but sometimes a strange building with memorable features.

3. Any memorable activity associated with the dream. Maybe I'm failing an exam, or playing tennis, or looking for an office, or playing a card game, or looking through items in a bookcase, or listening to a lecture, etc.

If I am good about doing this, I will usually capture five or more dreams in the course of a week, sometimes more than one in a night. Later in the morning, around breakfast time, I'll then enter the dream in my "DREAM LOG" file on my computer, and the little prompts I wrote will usually be enough to help me flesh out some other details from the dream as I write.

Anyway, Professor, I'm glad that your dreams are giving you a place where you can still enjoy your pipes comfortably and guiltlessly!

Thursday, 22 October, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, 22 October, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Haddock:

Thank you! It is pretty fast for an old duffer like me, although it really didn’t fast. But it is better than nothing.

Thursday, 22 October, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...


Pat:

I have occasionally tried to keep a dream journal.... but sadly it has never become a habit as I am too lazy and wanting to stay in bed as long as possible until some sort of deadline approaches and then I have no time left. 🙂

Thursday, 22 October, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

I remember being that dedicated to running. I salute and admire you, Professor...

Friday, 23 October, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home