The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, October 16, 2020

Cyborgs & Pipes


 

Apparently being a cyborg has affected me in regards to pipes.  

During this time of being a damn cyborg, I can say that I have not had the deep longing, the deep yearning arise within me for a beautiful bowlful of burley or any of my other pipe tobaccos.  

Do not get me wrong, however.  I still think about my pipes and pipe tobaccos.  In the few stray moments where I allow my glance to waiver from the damn computer screen, I do gaze upon my pipe rack in my U office or my pipe rack in my home office.  When I finally rest my head upon the pillow at night, and have perhaps a minute or so before I fall deeply asleep, I think of beautiful pipes to buoy my tired mind. 

Also, do not get me wrong.  I would love to smoke my pipes.  I would relish feeling the ember of tobacco warm the bowl of the pipe as I hold it in my hand as I draw upon the stem. It would be as if I were to meet an old, dear friend.

And, I didn't really notice until I looked at a photo from 3-4 years ago.... my mustache and beard has lost all of the gentle red/amber hues on the hairs surrounding my mouth.  I am now simply a fully uniform grey. That feels a bit sad.

But, the deep, deep yearning, the pure, passionate longing.... being a damn cyborg has quelled that deep, deep desire. I think perhaps it is akin to how a fly can distract.  Being a cyborg is distracting.

PipeTobacco

 

3 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

I had to look up "cyborg". I guess you're saying that having to live so much online has made life bleaker, less vivid, more remote. Absolutely.

Friday, 16 October, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

How did you become a cyborg? I assuming you've been spending much time in the ZOOM Matrix during the course of your lessons. I don't know how you do it professor...I was listening to NPR the other day and half the hour was given over to parents complaining about irregular school policies regarding the home-schooling of their children...as if instructors are having a party with it in comparison...

Friday, 16 October, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope all is well

Friday, 16 October, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home