The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Uh, Ok.


 

The "debate" last night.... just unbelievable.  I could not stomach watching it for longer than a few minutes, and switched off to find more relaxing pursuits.  

 NPR gave me a relatively brief summary this morning, and I can safely say that I missed nothing of any importance.  As expected, Trump was horrible, mean, and obnoxious.  As expected (sadly), Biden was not as coherent and as focused as he should have been.  

 While Biden has a clear lead in the polls at this time, I am deeply concerned that in the next 5 weeks that the pressures will become so hot, so volatile, that some will either a) start to waffle and drift in terms of support to replace Trump, or b) begin to feel again that their vote is unimportant and NOT vote. 

 Another four years of this would be so disastrous.    

* * * * *

I ran 9 miles in heavy rain this morning.  It was 50 degrees (10 C) and there was a very strong headwind that I had to run into for 1/2 of the run.  I was very happy to get it over with and take a warm shower.  I prayed the rosary during the first part of the run.  But I had finished my prayer before I completed the 9 miles.  

As I continued running, I let my mind drift a bit, and I ended up thinking about my Dad.  It has been over 26 years now that I have seen him when he was alive.  In my mind, I was reliving a few of my favorite spending time moments with him.  I was remembering the many times we went out together to eat a few Coney dogs together and just sit and talk with big mugs of root beer to accompany the dogs.  

But, I was also remembering the many times we would smoke our pipes together, and I was especially remembering one camping trip where he and I both stayed up far later than the others in our group...  deep into the late, late hours of evening, sitting around the campfire, smoking our pipes, quiet much of the time, with occasional bits of conversation, just feeling the sensations of the forest around us, feeling calm, feeling timeless.   This particular time I was remembering occurred during the Summer before I started graduate school, so I was just 21 at the time.  It was probably only about 4-6 weeks before this, that I had chosen which graduate program to attend from the ones who offered me a teaching assistantship and tuition waiver.  So I felt good, and felt a sense of relief.  I felt this relief because a) I *had* been accepted into graduate school, b) my hoped for future plans had actually gelled into something I could rely upon and I did not feel as nebulous about what I would do.  So, I felt very peaceful.  My Dad (and my Mom too, of course) was quite proud and happy for me.  Everything about that evening felt so right.  Life seemed to have purpose and meaning.  I felt I was a part of really working towards "trying to do good" with my life via the path I selected.   It felt like I had a legitimate path and with hard work, I could continue to try to become a person who would be able to make some sort of positive difference.  And, everything felt so good in life at that moment.

 PipeTobacco 

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess the debate was a hot um mess.

Wednesday, 30 September, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

Your reflection on the great moment around the camp fire is heart warming. A wonderful memory to cherish indeed.

I stayed with the debate. Biden did not hurt his chances and Trump did not help his. Biden was able to break through a few times and talk directly to voters. It was a net gain for the good guys. And I had to cheer when during one Trump volley Biden called him a clown! That is now part of American political history. I can imagine some historian many years hence, finding that line and using it as a focus of an exposition.

Wednesday, 30 September, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

A fond memory of your father, Professor...The debate made me embarrassed to be an American...on the tRump side anyway. Biden did the best he could with such belligerence. ....I've never seen an adult act like tRump does.

I did a walk through that very rain. It was very good to get out of it...

Thursday, 01 October, 2020  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Why did the democrats choose such an old man to stand? I watched a tiny clip of the debate. Too horrendous. And now Trump has covid allegedly. The man is ... I can't think of an appropriate word to fully express my feeling about him.

Monday, 05 October, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home