The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 25, 2021

Nerves Again

 

Today is another day in which I will be going back to face-to-face classroom work at the U.  It is both a joy and a curse.  I really enjoy working with the students.  But, with the out-of-control rate of spread of Covid-19, I am still incredibly anxious that I will come into contact with the damnable virus.  

While running on the treadmill this morning, I remembered and was thinking about how I had made as "poor graduate student" decorations in one of the really ratty apartments I had lived in during graduate school... a series of images I made that I put into a half dozen picture frames I had picked up at a flea market for a few pennies.  The images I framed were advertisements I liked from old magazines I found out and about.  A few were taken from magazines I was given from the barber of the barbershop I went to back in those days.  The two that I received were around 10 years old at that time when he gave them to me.  Other magazines were used that were laying around in various locations on campus, and a few were from the same flea market I found the frames.  I remember that "Life" magazine was often a good choice because of its large size and ample ads. 

I remember having two or three pipe tobacco advertisements framed, and a classic Volkswagen advertisement from the time, and I think perhaps an ad for some form of colorful outdoor hunting scene ad that I think was either for some hunting do-dad or perhaps a type of liquor... I cannot recall .  These were my "art" decorations for the period I lived in that apartment, and they were interesting.  

The image I show to day is of a brand of pipe tobacco I have had a lot of experience with over the years.  I think I have one of the very old tobacco tins in box somewhere.  I might have to explore and possibly look for some magazines or ads of pipe tobaccos to buy and perhaps frame a few (more nicely than in my graduate school days) for my walls in my home office.  It could be fun. 

PipeTobacco


2 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

Sounds like a cool inexpensive way to brighten up a space.

Monday, 25 January, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I like this poster and your idea of the past.

Monday, 25 January, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home