The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, March 08, 2021

Vehicles

 With my not having any formal classes today, my wife and I went out looking at vehicles for an eventual replacement for her vehicle.  We test drove a variety of vehicles so I could get a better handle on what she was currently liking and not liking in regards to her vision of her next vehicle.  While I am of the opinion we will be purchasing a used vehicle at some point, test driving what was out there today had us trying a variety of new and lightly used vehicles at dealerships.  After about 10 different vehicles that she tried, I am figuring out more accurately what she is wanting in her next vehicle.  After some more discussion, I can begin the arduous task of finding the target vehicle in a form that is viable and cost effective.  When I got my latest vehicle (used) about 12 years ago, it took me about six months of searching to find the specific one I was wanting for the price I was willing to pay.  I suspect this will be similar (as you have gathered from other posts, I am rather penny-pinching and do not want to be “taken for a ride” in terms of price).  The vehicles we get for my wife tend to be rather lightly used, but still used.  My own vehicles tend to be older, and (of course) more used.  

It was a pleasant day of her exploring, and we had a very nice time.  We of course, paid considerable heed to proper social distancing and other COVID related mask wearing and other protocols.  

I was thinking about how this was the first time I had not had a pipe with me while vehicle shopping in my life.  I have to admit I felt a bit “naked”.  And, it is interesting (to me anyhow) how I missed my pipe during all the moving about and talking with the various sales folk.  It is easier to deal with their yammerings that I tend to mostly ignore, when I had my pipe.  

PipeTobacco 

7 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm shock prices of cars and home. I know my parents didn't pay 25,000 for there first place.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Monday, 08 March, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Our present vehicle was bought used and is 11 years old already. So far, it has worked out well enough.

Tuesday, 09 March, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Yes, I am not planning on getting rid of my vehicle anytime soon. This is my wife’s vehicle we are contemplating replacing.

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 09 March, 2021  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I have a Toyota Rav-4. I get about twenty-four miles to the gallon. It is all-wheel drive and good ground clearance: great on ice and snow roads here in western Maine.
I would recommend it.
the Ol'Buzzard

Tuesday, 09 March, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

It is one we are definitely considering.

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 09 March, 2021  
Blogger Pat M. said...

It sounds like you might want to carry an unlit pipe with you when you get to the point of negotiating a sale. In the meantime, it sounds like you are on the right track. Over the years, I have typically purchased lightly used vehicles, letting someone else pay for the first three years of depreciation, then picking up a very nice low-mileage used vehicle that will give me another 10+ years or 80,000+ miles.

Tuesday, 09 March, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Pat:

Yes, that is my typical routine as well.

PipeTobacco

Tuesday, 09 March, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home