The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, March 15, 2021

Dentist Before Going to U


PCS Scale Today = 5

I had a 7:30am dental appointment today, so I had to get up especially early at 4:30am to run my nine miles (~14.5 km) on the infernal treadmill.  But I got it done!  I pushed myself as well, running faster on this damnable machine than I have every done for nine miles before.  It is still a bit slower than my typical pace when I am outdoors (I worry if I were to push to that speed, I will not be as successful running perfectly in a straight line on the narrow track.).  But, with the added effort and the lack of a breeze because I was inside.... when I was finished, I was so wet with perspiration that I felt akin to drowned rat.  Heart rate was at 140 when I finished, which was a nice level to reach for cardiovascular health and improvement. 

It has been a long time since I have not worn a mask in front of anyone who was not in my household, but... of course I needed to be "demasked" to have my teeth examined and cleaned.  Very fortunately, my teeth and gums were in good shape (I guess my 4-5 brushing a day and 2 uses of dental floss daily were effective enough.).  The hygienist complemented me on having to do virtually nothing other than the usual polishing to my teeth.  

The nicest part about being "demasked" was that the hygienist was was rather effusive in terms of complementing me on my beard and mustache.  Three different times she commented positively about it..... initially she said it was "beautiful and luxurious", then she said it was "handsome and colorful" (it  is mostly a steel wool, gun-metal gray for the vast majority most of it, but it has a small smattering of occasional brown, black, and red hairs that remain from before I turned gray). and then she commented that she liked how it was curly as well.  And, to top it off.... the dentist also commented when he eventually came in to give a final inspection of my chompers.... he told me my beard and mustache were "impressive".  

After I began to let my facial fur grow out longer than the ~ 1/2 to 1 inch length I had worn it for my whole adult life.... I started to let it grow out longer about perhaps 2.5 years ago.... I started to get a lot of complements from students before Covid-19 happened.   I still keep it neat and tidy and do trim it a bit every once in a while to keep the edges of my mustache neat and the edges of my beard uniform. But, it is perhaps 3-4 times longer overall than I had worn both the mustache and beard previously.  

But, with being masked during this last year (with a big HEAVY & THICK mask that covers all of my face below my eyes) the only part of my beard that would show in the last year was the portion that would show below the mask. The mask, in effect, quelled comments about my longer beard/mustache because most of it was hidden.  Truthfully, I did not realize I was actually missing getting these occasional, positive comments, for today I felt very sincerely flattered to receive these positive accolades like this.  The dental appointment put a smile (furry-faced grin?) on my face.  

My pipe cravings are down to a more moderate level today it seems.  I would relish smoking my pipes, and I still think about them.  But, the yearning today is not as severe as it was in the latter part of last week.  Now the desire for the pipe is more rather an "hedonistic" sort of  desire.... just for the sheer pleasure and charm they can bring to my spirit and mind. 

PipeTobacco


1 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have begun to grow my beard a bit too. We'll see how long I will let it go. It is pretty sprongy. :)

Monday, 15 March, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home