The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, May 17, 2021

Pipe Dreams - Middle Age Crisis?

Thus far, an odd sort of day on a number of fronts:

  • Been doing a lot of reading about my wife's precancerous spot that was removed.   From everything I have read, it *does* appear that there is nothing to be worried about (like the clinician said).  It was wholly removed and should pose no problem, and as long as we keep abreast of any other spots if they appear, we should be safe according to how the statistics pan out in this regard.  This is a relief, although I can say I am still not 100% convinced, I am feeling more calm about it at this point.  
  • I have come to realize that although the woman whom I dislike greatly because of how horrible she was to me is someone I need to be forgiving towards....... she is, regardless, still a sh*th**d and a wholly unpleasant, conniving, and nasty person.  My realization is that I can still be working towards forgiving while at the same time acknowledging to myself (and others if asked) that she is NOT good, kind, or appropriate in any discernible way.  This duality feels helpful towards my efforts to try to forgive.  
  • Running was very pleasant this morning.  Warm enough for shorts and a long-sleeved t-shirt (for better sun protection, even at 7:00am) and baseball cap.  First such day this season.  10.2 miles completed.  
  • I had a work related meeting that went better than anticipated.  I have also had far fewer "panicky" e-mails from my new students than expected at this part of the semester.  
  • Leaving the U, I was powerfully thirsty, so I acquiesced and for only I think the second (perhaps third time) since the pandemic started,  I stopped at the 7-11 I pass on the way home (initially to purchase gasoline).... but also went inside and purchased a fountain pop (Diet Pepsi).  It was wonderfully icy cold and delicious.  But as I was inside, an older fellow.... well, hell.... I shouldn't say that... he was PROBABLY around the same age as me... came inside and was in line ahead of me because it took a bit for me to make my fountain drink.  As we walked out, I saw he was driving a Jeep (traditional Jeep Wrangler), and it was a beautiful red color.  I commented to him how I liked his vehicle and liked the soft top he had (it was a bit unusual in style).  As we were chatting briefly (Jeep folks tend to like to talk.), he also pulled out his pipe from the dashboard area of the vehicle where he had left it.  This of course, caught my attention as you can imagine.  We ended up talking about his Jeep for a few more minutes and then I walked to the gas pumps and put the nozzle back into the pump, as my truck was filled.  

The encounter had me daydreaming on my way home.  I had always wanted a Jeep of my own.  For a period of time, I did have a 1983 Jeep Cherokee (sort of like a station wagon) for a number of years.  I had wanted a Wrangler back then actually too, but did the sensible "Dad" thing, and went with the Cherokee as it was better for a family. Do not get me wrong... it was a great vehicle. But it wasn't a "real" Jeep.  

Seeing the fellow, in my age bracket, unabashedly enjoying his Jeep (it was damn nice looking) and unabashedly smoking his pipe had me feeling a tinge of envy.  Kind of stupid, I know.  But... I suspect I shall be daydreaming about driving around in my own Jeep (red or hunter green or yellow) with a pipe in my hand, for the next several days.   Not sure if I could technically call this a mid-life crisis, as I am too old for such a thing.  But, it does look awfully fun.  Maybe I should look around for a used one and sell my truck?  Hah, it could be the impetus to go back to my pipes.  Hah.  Probably only a pipe dream.

PipeTobacco

 


3 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Forgiving doesn't change the person. It just gives one permission to move on. Mud Bogging is popular here. Both of son was into when the live at home. A couple of time I drove the mud boggers and it was different. One was toyota pick up and other one was jeep.
I bet your relieve about your wife.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Monday, 17 May, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You brought to mind a memory of Big Gulps at 7-11. My friend and I would often stop after tennis, actually for a Super Big Gulp in most cases. And he drove a Sidekick with a soft top, so much like your jeep guy.

Tuesday, 18 May, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm glad your wife's news was good; my late dad lived with skin cancer (the persistent kind) for over 40 years. Even that was very treatable. He ended up dying of old age, combined with a nasty case of acute myeloid leukemia. My late husband owned several Jeeps, real ones (a CJ-5, then a CJ-7). They have stiff suspensions and tend not to be super comfortable to drive around in, although that may have changed. If they go off road though, they have to be high clearance and tight. The CJs were smaller and no longer made; if you drove them or turned them like a car, you would end up flipping on your side. It never happened to him, but even some experienced Jeepers had that issue. :)

Wednesday, 19 May, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home