The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Working Hard


 

Trying to get a lot of smaller tasks off my plate.  Been busy on the computer all day after completing 10.4 miles (a little bit under 17km) this morning:

  • I checked, rechecked, and triple checked my proofs for the book and finally gave it my stamp of approval
  • Wrote three letters of recommendation for students.  These three are all applying to medical schools.
  • Deconstructed and am reconstructing my Fall lecture syllabi to an apparently "normal" semester format this Fall.  Now that I have such an array of electronic items, I am contemplating which electronica are worth keeping and which are not needed..... so.... I am not simply going back to my pre-Covid syllabi.... but am revamping them to try to keep some of the electronica.
  • Worked on the collective laboratory syllabi for the big physiology course in which I have some co-instructors.
  • Worked on the embryology laboratory syllabus. 
  • Pumped through a helluva lot of e-mail.

As I worked diligently here, though, is I spied my big can of Sir Walter Raleigh pipe tobacco, and decided to open up the can to at least indulge a bit in the beautiful aroma of the leaf in the can.  Besides the beautiful natural odor of the leaf itself, I also enjoy the tiny hints of molasses, and just a hint of bourbon.  Every pipe tobacco has its own inherent pouch or can effervescence.  But, as Sir Walter Raleigh was a staple of my Dad's pipe smoking.... and was the first leaf I ever sampled myself.... its aroma brings back so many, many good memories and thoughts of incredible times gone by. 

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Pipe tobacco is very evocative. (so much more so that cigars or cigarettes!) Electronica is here to stay; now it's just a question of how to use it alongside other methods.

Wednesday, 14 July, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You certainly accomplish a lot.

Wednesday, 14 July, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I recall doing crank calls and asking if they had Prince Albert in Can.
My dad did mostly rolled his own tabacco and his main brand was drum.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Thursday, 15 July, 2021  
Blogger Ankit Ron said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, 18 July, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home