The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, August 09, 2021

Nutrition Facts

 

Ok.  I am *thinking* I can be back here, writing again.  I am going to *try* to return to my normal consistency.  The last few weeks have been in many ways a blur, and have been extremely chaotic and difficult emotionally.  Yet, I have had some moments of happiness as well during this roiling time.  

I think I am going to start off small, with easier to write (smaller) segments as I work to explain what has been happening and why I needed to temporarily stop posting.  So..... again.... just starting at the beginning and working through bits and pieces of this over the next few days seems the most successful option for me....

1.  In one of the last posts I had written, I had spoken of how a family friend's son unexpectedly died of sepsis following an equally surprising emergency surgery.  He was in his mid 30s and it was devastating to so many of his family and friends.  The funeral was rough as well. 

2.  Within a few days of that tragedy, a close friend and colleague who is three offices down the hall from me was hospitalized after suffering what appears to be at least four very significant strokes.  This too was highly unexpected and has been horrific in many ways.  I have been traveling to the hospital to visit him multiple times.  He is only a couple of years older than me.  He has regained some of his ability to speak and his motor function is showing some signs of improvement as well, but the ultimate recovery prognosis is very unclear.  Besides the hurt, sadness and worry I am feeling for my friend, this situation has also dredged up a lot of memories about my own sister and the stroke that she experienced several years ago.  

There is a whole lot more to write about, but this is a start.  I will try to continue tomorrow.  The title and image I have shown here really does not pertain to anything other than I was looking at a similar nutrition label just prior to my typing here.  I am rather in a mode where I am just trying to put down the facts of what has been transpiring, and not so much delving into my feelings or emotions about things at the moment.  I am not sure I am up for trying to organize my emotions much at the moment.  Trying to ignore them and just plodding onward seems about what I am capable of at the moment. 

 PipeTobacco 

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

It's good to hear from you, Professor! And good to know that you're able to take small steps, and think about small bits of your many experiences without letting emotion overwhelm you.

When I started to look seriously at nutrition labels, one of my first discoveries was that many packagers pretty much lie about serving size, in order to be able to put down the numbers they want. But maybe you can adjust the "serving size" of the events and emotions you choose to ponder and process, to make it easier to wade through it all at a congenial and helpful pace. I'm glad that you're back, but please do be careful to pace yourself. But please don't delay too much in sharing with us the happy moments you've been experiencing.

Monday, 09 August, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

Those types of events shake up our sense of security and confidence that the world is a somewhat stable place. I'm so sorry about both these medical crises.

Monday, 09 August, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Hope to hear from you again. I also have trouble figure what to blog about. I know we all have things to share.
Do you garden?
Coffee is on and stay safe

Monday, 09 August, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Glad you posted. I have thought of you from time to time and thought to write but never when I have been at the computer where what I see before me takes up my attention.

Tuesday, 10 August, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

Glad you're back, Professor. I was getting worried...

Thursday, 12 August, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home