The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Beet

 


My mind has always leaned towards liking wordplay, word association, etc.  As I was trying to find a title for today's post,  I started thinking that my writing plan was to try to be more "upbeat" in my writings. My free-association, wordplay focused mind then transitioned from the word "upbeat" to "beats" (as in music) and finally to "beets" as in the major component of  my favorite Borscht soup recipe.  I am a BIG fan of beets and relish eating them in every way in which I have found them.  Sometimes I get a big hankering for beets, and do not feel I need the hassle of making something from scratch... so my wife keeps our pantry stocked with some whole beets in cans that I will sometimes simply eat out of the can or drain and pour onto my monster sized salad.  Fresh beets are, of course, much more tasty.... but canned DO a good job of EASILY satisfying my "Beet Itch".   Grilled Beets, Borscht Soup, Boiled Beets, Julianne’d Raw Beets..... are some of my favorites when I venture beyond my canned beets.  I should probably look up some sort of new, unexpected way to use beets. 

With all the sh*t and chaos that befalls me of late, I tend to think that a major way to TRY to cope is through purposefully working on trying to a) identify the positive things that are happening..... even if so much of what IS happening is dark, harsh, sad, and unpleasant, and then b) try to focus on those things identified in (a).  

So, my positive thing I can think of today that has happened is that as of this morning, I have already "Ran the Year!!!"  This means that since January 1, 2021 until now (September 22, 2021) I have ran TWO THOUSAND, TWENTY ONE MILES (3,253 kilometers).... so far this year. I feel pretty damn good that I was able to exhibit enough consistency and enough perseverence to do that.  This is my second year doing this..... but this year, I am roughly 7 weeks earlier in getting there than last year.  Technically, since I finished my 10 miles at 6:30am this morning, it was still SUMMER (Fall officially starts at 3:20pm today.).

Pat mentioned in the comments my discussion of dreams yesterday.  I agree with you that I know I am still dreaming in some fashion.... it is a mandatory aspect of sleep.  I just meant that my remembering dreams when I awaken has unfortunately vanished in the last several weeks.  I do miss the memories of my "pipe dreams".  I hope I start remembering my dreams again, soon.  I would also like to figure out a return to them as well.

This morning, I watched Mass online from the the Capuchin Monastery and my favorite current Capuchin priest celebrated Mass, which was wonderful.  With so many Capuchins there, he only rotates through to celebrate Mass occasionally.   Seeing him actually reminded me of the wonderful, pipe smoking Capuchin I had been privileged to know and receive sacraments and mass from a few years ago.  I had spoken before about how he visited our parish for a few weeks during a health related issue for our priest.  He was delightful to listen and learn from and he was delightful to talk with.  Sadly, he has now moved even father away than the monastery because of his quite old age... and he is in a special retirement community for priests.  

Pipes always seem to help me feel happier..... even just THINKING about them seems to help elevate my mood a bit.  

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I love roasted beets but I've not had them grilled. That is now on the to try list, thanks.

My favorite way of eating beets is on salads. Lana loves pickled beets and makes them frequently and some times includes hard boiled eggs. Have never been a fan of creamed beets, nor any vegetable for that matter.

Hard to beat beets. Sorry, someone had to say it.

Congrats on running the year! That is a healthy and significant achievement and impressive that it's on the books so early in the year.

Wednesday, 22 September, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

We grew beets once again in garden and pickle them. I also like harvest beets.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Wednesday, 22 September, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

I love beets pickled. The French have a delicious beet and cucumber salad that I enjoy since I'm a fan of both. Running the year is an incredible feat...or is it feet? ;)

Wednesday, 22 September, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't know if it is the texture or taste or both or some association, but beets pretty well make me gag.

Thursday, 23 September, 2021  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I love beans cooked in the crock pot. But, with just the two of us we end up making more than we can eat.
the Ol'Buzzard

Friday, 24 September, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home