The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Tuckered Out

Another long day of getting all sorts of electronic minutia prepared for classes.  Lots of electronic things again in case we go “online” for a while, but also a lot of face-to-face stuff because we may do that.  In reality, the electonic stuff takes about 1.5 normal face-to-face work, and face-to-face takes the normal 1.0 work…… so I am attempting to do ~250% of normal effort in order to be prepared.  So.  I am awfully damn tuckered out most days so far this week.  

The CDC & political b*llsh*t is just making this so much harder than it has to be.  My U is being damn wishy-washy too and we are not sure of any changes in plans for the next few weeks…. so I and all of my fellow professors are aggravated and exhausted trying to double prepare.  A few have said “to hell with it” and are just going to “wing it” which, I could technically do too….. but I ended up doing that last semester when I lost my two prep weeks before fall because of the death of my friend.  All semester felt the ripples of chaos from those two weeks of poor preparation efforts due to the grief.  I have to work as hard as I can to avoid that chaos this semester.  

I feel myself creeping closer to just saying “to hell with it” regarding abstaining from my pipes.  Even though I do not have the YEARNINGS for them, I am feeling a lot of stress and find myself simply in a reflexive way absentmindedly reaching for a pipe in my pocket, or leaning back to take a pipe break like had always been my method to reduce stress.  I have NOT smoked my pipes of course….. but I keep wondering if it really matters?  

PipeTobacco 

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Will you feel a sense of relief and comfort if you do take up your pipes again? Or will you experience guilt and regret? There may be no way to know before doing so but those are questions I would be asking myself under the circumstances. My older daughter isn't double preparing to my knowledge; she hasn't yet heard anything from her college about whether they'll be partly or temporarily on-line. I think she's taught the classes before so that's less preparation than it would have been. She would still appreciate information about what's happening though!

Wednesday, 05 January, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I always found it difficult to plan ahead. I didn't really wing-it but my prep had to be pretty current.

Thursday, 06 January, 2022  
Blogger The Blog Fodder said...

Is it worth it? the 64 million dollar question
My daughter is going through the same stuff and is banging her head against the university bureaucracy which is far worse than government bureaucracy.

Thursday, 06 January, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home