The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Jaw Update


 

It seems if the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together, which is a relief.  My jaw pain is significantly lower this morning, and I can actually get my upper and lower molars to touch on the right slide, and the left side is pretty close as well.  This means a lot of the swelling has gone down.  

With the decreased pain since Saturday/Sunday.... this also suggests I did not have an ear infection, but that it was a TMJ Flare-up.... and because it DID occur far more significantly on the side where I had chomped down on the olive pit.... I do believe that is the actual causative action that lead to this flare-up.  

I am hopeful that perhaps later today or at least by tomorrow, the swelling will have dissipated and I can fully close my jaw on both sides.  

Eating all day yesterday was a task that was exhausting.  I ate a lot less than usual because of the pain and because I could not fully close molars against molars.   I in effect attempted to "sort of" chew my food.  It was painful, but I was very hungry.  I also splurged and bought a milkshake because I thought I could at least drink that for some calories and flavor.  

Surprisingly, band rehearsal proved to be absolutely no problem.  I was worried it would be difficult to grip my bass clarinet mouthpiece properly and play.... but because the bass clarinet mouthpiece is pretty hefty, I did not have to close my mouth much, and it was actually pain free.  That was quite nice.... it helped to make band practice probably the most happy part of my day yesterday.  

******************

  • 11 miles (~16 km).  It seems like I am being a lazy lout just always running exactly the same every day.  But, it is really all I can fit it before I have to get to the U.  I really need to get to trying to repair my treadmill, as there will be holidays and other days where the track is closed soon, and it will jeopardize me trying to keep up with my weekly goal.  
  • PCS = 8.  Still very hard.  If I COULD figure out a way to indulge occasionally (perhaps twice a week), I would do so instantly.  And, while I think I could FORCE myself into that pattern... I do worry it would take more energy and more determination than I have..... I guess I am saying I worry it would be so damn much work.  I need to figure out a way that is "occasional" and yet not so damn hard to do.  

******************

Tonight, I have to go to a church meeting at 7:00pm.  I really do not want to go.  I will be so exhausted by the time I get home.

 PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

What does your wife think about the pipes and going back to them? I don't know why that popped into my head. I'm glad that the pain is getting better and is allowing you to eat more. I'm not sure what causes that condition, but I would hate it since I love crunchy things.

Tuesday, 25 October, 2022  
Blogger Pat M. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, 25 October, 2022  
Blogger Pat M. said...

Was just reading today about the noted cognitive psychologist Jerome Bruner, who died in 2016 at age 100. Of course I won't claim that he lived to 100 because he was a pipe smoker, but it is a nice reminder that there are a thousand factors that influence our health and longevity. I wouldn't be surprised, for instance, to find out that your band practice and you're playing the clarinet is one of many positive factors diminishing your stress and enhancing your health and longevity. Same with your running. Department meetings, not so much... Anyway, Professor, do take care of yourself while the last of this bout of TMJ remediates itself!

Tuesday, 25 October, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's better.

Wednesday, 26 October, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home