The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, November 02, 2022

Brief (Not Underwear)

Feeling quite down.  But, I am trying to force myself through it by trying to focus on the positive.  So, a smaller post today:

  • 11 miles as usual.
  • PCS = 7 (This seems to be a new "norm" for me which is not what I would have expected over 4.5 years from my beginning to refrain.  I would have thought the gradual slope line of "decline" would have me likely at at PCS of 1 or 2 by this time.)
  • Wednesday is the busiest teaching/research day of the week for me, so I am going to just keep my nose to the grindstone as best as I can.

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Perhaps it's your stress level that has pushed up your pipe longings?

Wednesday, 02 November, 2022  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would have thought the gradual slope line of "decline" would have me likely at at PCS of 1 or 2 by this time.

My experience was apparently a lot like yours, persisting at a PCS of 7 or 8 for nearly a decade. Eventually I realized that I could persist in abstaining, but I also realized that I did not WANT to abstain. And thus my happy return to my pipes and tobaccos.

In this, Professor, I get the impression that you've done better than I did in at least one respect. Looking back, I consider my years away from my pipes as a waste of my time, a doing without something that enriches my life immeasurably. At least your abstaining seems well-paired with introspection and growth, such that whenever you do return to your pipes you won't have any reason to regret your abstaining; you'll simply be returning to your roots after a time of self-examination. You'll probably feel some guilt for a few days after you return, much as I did, but your abstention may ultimately feel like a springboard to a happy and deliberate embrace of your complete self.

Wednesday, 02 November, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not posting today. I could probably find something, but I can't be bothered.

Wednesday, 02 November, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home