The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, February 02, 2023

;aoif&9*hj e

My mind feels quite a bit like the title of this post.... jumbled chaos.  I feel utterly exhausted.  I feel extraordinarily anxious.  I feel dread.  I feel gloom.  Today has not been a pleasant day from the moment my feet hit the pavement.

  • Overslept through my damn alarm.  Got to the track 1/2 hour late.  Ran faster than I wanted to, and stayed longer than I wanted to in order to get the damnable, full 10 miles in.
  • I am growing royally p*ss*d at the individual I no longer talk about here.  This person is engaging in mind-bogglingly stupid choices that will ultimately remove about 20 different, very positive opportunities this person is eligible for. I want to yell, holler, curse, scream, and try to get this person to see and recognize logic.  But, I stay silent, for it does absolutely no damn good at all.
  • I am feeling quite significant pressure about a cadre of my research students and their upcoming talk at a regional research meeting.  They are being a tad lackadaisical and it is ratcheting up my own stress.  
  • Today was my especially long lecture day to boot.  I am now exhausted.  I am famished, even though I ate every damn crumb of food I had.

*IF* I had my druthers.... and if I did not have my wife needing me to be a responsible husband... if I did not have to get up to run another damn 10 miles in the morning before heading off to work, and if I didn't already have a full plate of work I have to get done tomorrow, which will take all damn day........

If none of the above were true.... I would like nothing more at the  moment than to go get either a six pack of some heavy & hoppy IPA style beer... or perhaps a pint of some pleasant bourbon or whisky... then go home to my office... grab 2 or three of my favorite pipes... grab a pouch or two of the most robust burley leaf I can locate in my stock.... 

... and smoke my pipe and drink myself into a gentle, hazy, sloppy mindset. This would pleasantly distract me from the stressors, the aggravations, the anxieties. 

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Would your pipe and beverage merely distract you from your stressors, or might they help to fortify you against those stressors?

Thursday, 02 February, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Things are definitely not going smoothly for you. But the weekend is coming. Hang in.

Thursday, 02 February, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this; kids can be the most damnable stressors of all because we care so much about their health and success. Hope that it works out! No IPAs here but a couple of amber ales and maybe some popcorn to munch on later.

Thursday, 02 February, 2023  
Blogger GaP said...

Hang in there, Profesor.

Friday, 03 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home