The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, July 03, 2023

Almost No


 

After finally getting all the work I had to finish for end-of-the-academic-year paperwork accomplished.... my mind was like mush.  I felt I needed a break away from keyboards and computers, and electronica of all sorts.  

And.... other than reading a few blogs.... I was successful in being away from my computer and electronica.  It was very helpful to me.  I read actual documents on PRINTED PAPER, and read part of a book, and it was refreshing.  

I have a goal to try to reduce somewhat my required uses of electronica at the U.  I think I can manage this with more careful planning of my time.  Perhaps the biggest sink-hole I have is in trying to manage the horrendous number of e-mails I receive (hundreds per day).  I am considering putting some sort of auto-reply message on my e-mail address to the effect of:

"Dr. PipeTobacco understands that e-mails are important forms of communication, but also recognizes  that research studies have shown that excessive time on electronica is not conducive for mental and emotional health.  Therefore, he has enacted a policy where he only examines and replies to e-mails once each weekday morning.  Please be patient."  

I should probably abbreviate the above in some fashion.  But, the above represents my goal to have enacted (fingers crossed) by Fall.  

* * * 

Running has been a royal hassle this past week.  Because of the damnable smoke/soot/haze from the Canadian wildfires, the air pollution index was quite horrible all of last week.  This meant that I had to hoof out all 50 damnable miles on the indoor tracks or treadmills.  It was difficult to have much enthusiasm for running.  But I did hoof out every last mile.  Three days were on the treadmill and two days were on the track.  50.1 miles ( ~81 km) total.... so I kept my weekly goal intact.... but it was not easy. 

  • Air quality was considerably improved this morning, so I took advantage and hoofed out 13.2 miles (~21 km), and my feet hit the pavement at 5:15 am just as enough light was about to see the path.  The rain we had this weekend (which I think helped wash out the smoky haze) made it quite humid, and it was 72 degrees (22 C) at 5:15 am.  I almost decided to go "Sasquatch" mode on my run.... but did not really want to put on sunscreen, so I wore the thinnest running shirt I could find with long sleeves.  
  • I have been having a significant "itch" to go down to the wonderful pipe shop that is ~45-50 minutes away from me.  I sometimes tell myself that.... yeah, sure.... I could do that.... and I could enjoy a delightful bowlful of some beautiful mixture of my choosing while there.  A "sort of" special trip for old times sake since I do not have any immediate travel plans to a distant city where I could re-enact the beauty and grace that transpired at Iwan Reis in Chicago.  But..... then in the same vein, I tell myself...... "Self.... you know that would be a damn big risk.  Going back to your favorite pipe store in your own neck-of-the woods.... is just a slippery-slope, "fall-off-the wagon" sort of action that could be dangerous.  And, both the "devil" and the "angel" on my shoulders.... are probably right.  
  • I do not do this often, but when I stumble across a rummage sale that is in an "interesting" location, I will sometimes stop.  Well, I was traveling down a country road and there was a feeble looking "SALE" sign along the side of the road with an arrow pointing to an old farmhouse with a very old barn.  So, I had a bit of time, and decided.... "what the hell".... it seems like an interesting location.  Even though they are FAR, FAR less common to see these days, I still like looking at rummage sales for pipes, pipe racks, pipe tobacco humidors, etc.   I do not think I have actually seen any pipes or related materials since before Covid hit, but I still look.  I did, however, find one rather "cute" pipe-like item that I did purchase ($ 0.25)...... an empty bottle of Avon aftershave that was in one of the classic pipe shaped containers.  I have had one Avon container where the bowl of the "pipe" looks like a dog head wearing a "deer-stalker" cap.  I have had this since I was young, where one of my uncles gave it to me.  The one I stumbled upon and purchased at this rummage sale is exactly like the one pictured above (first image).   Since the dog one sounds strange as I tried to describe it, I actually will add a photo of what that one looks like as well (second image).  
PipeTobacco  


3 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Professor, nobody wants you to "fall off the wagon," but I sure do wish that you could find a way to step off the wagon with no guilt and no judgment. Spending the rest of your days constantly trying not to scratch an itch is no way to live -- especially when that itch pertains to something that has clearly been a "net positive" in your life.

As for your email, I can understand student anxieties, so (depending on your schedule) I wonder whether you could quantify your policy as specifically as possible? Perhaps something like:

Dr. PipeTobacco processes his email each weekday morning. Any email he receives after 9:00am should receive a reply on the following weekday morning. Your patience is appreciated.

Depending on your schedule -- running, breakfast, etc., you may want to move that time earlier or later, but students will appreciate your brevity; they don't need to know about "research studies" or why you've set your policy -- they just need to know your policy.

Monday, 03 July, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I think the auto-reply is an excellent idea to set some much needed boundaries. As for the pipe smoking boundaries, I believe you could set them as well. Anyone who can run in all conditions and circumstances like you do has an immense force of will. However, as I've mentioned before, the guilt you would feel might sully your pleasure. You will have to weigh that. Delightful that you have your clean air back! We will probably get the wildfire smoke eventually and I hate the thought of it!

Monday, 03 July, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I was wondering about those images. How unique.

I am somewhat surprised by your email load, but I am not in a position like yours. Still, I get enough, most of which I don't read.

Tuesday, 04 July, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home