The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Bushed


 I am "bushed" in several respects.....

  • My primary "bushed" is that my VOICE is tired as hell from five straight hours of loud, intense, robust, "enthusiastic" lecturing to my classes to attempt to motivate and invigorate their passion to learn this semester.  Because the first day of the semester is typically all about the syllabus and the  "rules and regulations" of the course.... and that is too damn boring, I intersperse my syllabus introduction with a variety of subject relevant anecdotes, recommendations for them to plan out their work/life schedules to accomplish their academics (intermixed in the swirl of their other work-related, family related, significant other related, party related, and sleep related activities they also do).  I urge them to not give the short schrift to their academics as they will pave the way for their future.  
  • My secondary "bushed" is my face.  I need to spend some time before Friday in smoothing my "robusto" beard in preparation for a needed new, official U photograph that is required of me for some things happening at the U.  My last photo is QUITE (an understatement) old, and I am considerably greyer now, considerably thinner now, and my beard was a considerably shorter and overall closer to my face thing at that time.  I am still keeping my beard just as big and bushy (sometimes to my wife's chagrin).... but I want to smooth the edges just a bit so it looks more "refined" and not just simply big... for this photo.  It will be just a minor smoothing off of errant bits of unruly fur.  But, it will help the photograph. 
  • I am "bushed" also from running a 10.8 miles (~17km) this morning where I purposefully (stupidly?) worked to push myself VERY HARD on this run to do so more rapidly.... to try to become stronger.  Probably not the best idea on this day, but it is what I did.  
  • Finally, I am "bushed" about the cavalcade of thoughts of pipes I have been having.  Even more so than USUAL, I seem to see and think and recall pipes and pipe tobaccos in damn near everything I do every moment.  I am feeling an enormously robust hunger for a pipe.... especially the last 2-3 days.  It is a profoundly deep desire at the moment. And I am not sure where it is originating from.  
PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

I am feeling an enormously robust hunger for a pipe.... especially the last 2-3 days. It is a profoundly deep desire at the moment. And I am not sure where it is originating from.

Au contraire, Professor! I think you do know where that hunger is originating from. On the one hand, you spent decades developing the body of a pipe smoker, teaching your cells to metabolize the nicotine from your glorious variety of tobaccos. That's not something you can just wish away after so many decades. But more importantly, you spent those years, in fact more years as this goes back to your childhood, developing the SOUL of a pipe smoker. Your pipes are much more to you than a nicotine delivery system; they connect deeply to your soul and to your father's soul. That's not a bad thing; indeed, it's a connection very few are privileged to have. No wonder you're "bushed" trying to pull against all of that.

You haven't said anything to us yet about any changes in your 2024 vows/plans for your running. It looks like you are still focusing on miles, rather than on minutes, so I'm hoping you have chosen a number (50 per week?) that will keep you exercised but won't become an onerous burden in times of illness or overwork. Take care of yourself, Professor!

Tuesday, 16 January, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

I would be beyond "bushed." I remember those first days in the classroom and they were exhausting in every way, but especially to my voice.

Tuesday, 16 January, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hah! Great theme. Carry on.

Wednesday, 17 January, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home