The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Early Music Memories


Even though these days, I am primarily playing my "frankenhorn" bass clarinet (built by me from a mixture of discarded, old, decrepit high-school band cast-off, broken down horns a dear friend of mine was able to acquire and give me ~30 years ago).  The first instrument I played in band was a Bb Sparano Clarinet my Mom & Dad purchased for me after receiving guidance from the music store folks who came into our school to help our elementary school band teacher guide parents on which instrument to get for their kid.  

Back in that elementary school year, I was FEVEROUSLY EXCITED and wildly ENTHUSIASTIC about being able to start band!  In the district I was in, band started in 5th Grade.  And, I remember even as early as when I was in 3rd Grade being enthused and anticipatory about wanting to be in band and looking forward to getting to 5th Grade.  All during 4th Grade, I would regularly check out of the school library and the public library all sorts of books about musical instruments in anticipation.

When the time came in 5th Grade that I was able to be evaluated by the music store folks, I had my heart set on hoping to play the trumpet (or the highly similar coronet).  But, my hopes were dashed because the music store folks had "rules".... which I think were mostly made up so they could work to get the teacher a well rounded mix of instruments in their class.  For me, the fact that my front teeth slanted slightly inward at the bottom gave them the ability to tell my parent's the "rules" that I should play either the (soprano) clarinet or the (alto) saxophone.  For us small youngsters the larger beasts (bass clarinet, tenor sax, etc.) were not yet options.  The "rules" governing me to play clarinet or sax was due to the idea that those two instruments could "potentially" help to "straighten out" the VERY SLIGHT backwards slant of my front teeth.  Today, I know that this notion is complete balderdash.  I suspect why I was put into the clarinet/sax choice group was that I was able to demonstrate rather precise manual dexterity with my fingers compared to a lot of my classmates...... and this was likely due to the significant amount of time I got to spend at our Parish AFTER the conclusion of my Catechism class, waiting for one of my parents to pick me up.  By special agreement, my school bus could drop me and other Catholic kids off after school to get to our Catechism class once a week, but after class, I had to wait around for one of my parent's to get out of work to get back home.  Our Parish had an old, rather out-of-tune piano that resided in the kitchen, dining area of our Parish, and I would usually plunk around on the keys, making up songs and general noise while I waited (luckily nothing else was going on in the Parish or more specifically at the church, and the priests tolerated my noise).  

So, my hand-eye coordination from plunking on the keys was the more likely reason I was designated  to be in the clarinet/sax group.... I could probably end up being successful with all the array of different keys and levers of either of those two instruments.  The kids in the trumpets selection group were typically told that their "buck teeth" (leaning outward, even if very minimal) could be "fixed" by playing the trumpet (or trombone).  But, I think that group was primarily chosen because they did not show as much manual dexterity.... and would only have to deal with three valves (trumpet) to manipulate or a single slide (trombone) to move around.  

Of the two... clarinet or sax..... I ACTUALLY wanted to play the sax more than the clarinet.  But, ultimately I selected the clarinet.  But, the reason was silly and foolish enough, but highlighted my silly 5th grade mindset.  The sax, that I really liked, had a neck strap that was meant to be worn while playing.  No problem...... BUT.... the neck strap of the sax I would get...... was...... WHITE in color.  This displeased me greatly!  I wanted my instrument to look a perfect as possible "forever" and I "hated" that the neck strap was WHITE!  I thought it would get dirty and ugly and yellow like I had seen a lot of other white things get.  

So.... since the clarinet did not have a WHITE neck strap.... it had no neck strap..... I chose the clarinet.  

Such a silly, foolish, 5th grader-type reason for the decision I made.

Fortunately, the foolish decision actually served me well.  I did not realize this until perhaps late in high school, but the clarinet is more difficult to learn than the sax for a few different reasons relating to the octave design of each instrument.  By learning the clarinet, it was a far easier (almost effortless) transition to play any sax I wanted to later in life (and of course the whole clarinet family of horns).  But, it tends to be more difficult for kids to initially learn on the sax to make a successful transition to the clarinet family if desired.  

Oh...... by the way.... a friend mentioned to me that he thought it odd that I did not mention the anniversary of 9/11 in my post last Friday.  I (like I suspect most) did think about it a lot last week, but I kind of purposefully did not say anything about it a) because I did not think I had anything valuable to contribute, and b) I also knew it would be the primary focus of most everything news-wise on that day already.  I can just say this..... the anniversary was indeed a somber time of a horrible event... and I do feel sad at how that tragedy has shaped our world in its aftermath.  And, I now especially feel for the many now gravely ill responders who are sick (or have already passed) due to the toxins they were exposed to in their efforts to help others.  

PipeTobacco  

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My friend was a HS music teacher who would evaluate and match students to instruments when they entered the program. I assume that these were all newbies to instrumental music.

To an American, that mat sounds odd and late, but we don't do band in elementary here. Marching bands are not so much part of our culture although some exist on a community basis.

For Christmas parades in our border town, Sarnia, there would be several bands from across the river in Port Huron and Michigan.

Even here in town, HS bands go by on the flatbeds of trucks.

BTW, did you play in a marching band?

Tuesday, 15 September, 2026  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Music Instrument start in 5th grade. That's when I picked up the violin.

Tuesday, 15 September, 2026  
Blogger Margaret said...

I didn't post much about 9/11 because like you, I had nothing new to say. It didn't mean that I wasn't thinking about it and mourning the many losses. I started in orchestra in 4th grade; band students began in 5th. I already played the piano and was eager to learn the violin since my dad was a lover of classical music. He took me to many concerts which are now precious memories.

Tuesday, 15 September, 2026  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home