The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, November 06, 2003

The beautiful "beast" shown to the right is an image of one of my very favorite pipes. In my mind, the shape and color are of a caliber that make the pipe a true work of art. It is sad to think about how uncommon my hobby of the pipe has become.

While I understand how the health issues that can surround tobacco use are a a major reason for the rapid decline in smoking in the last 20 years, I think that the issue is a bit off the mark. Yes, tobacco use can be damaging to one's health, but so can many other things. A person must evaluate the cost/benefit of the behavior and make decisions based upon these ideas. It is rare when ANYTHING is wholly bad or wholly good in life. Nearly everything is a shade of grey.

For me personally, I think the villification of tobacco usage is a result of OVERINDULGENCE that is possible and encouraged by the use of cigarettes. I am personally not fond of cigarettes for a variety of reasons, and therefore do not indulge in them. Later I shall talk more about why I think that the rise in use of cigarettes is directly attributable to the current decline in use of what I like to refer to as the more "gentlemanly" forms of tobacco.... cigars and especially pipes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I guess this info is totally unique.
best e-cigarette

Monday, 27 August, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home