The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Hello Friends:

I am very thankful to all of you for your recent comments. I feel a need to mention them specifically:

Jonathon, Tekiegreg, Phil, Nameless, Dweeb, and Mike.... your words have been very helpful in allowing me to affirm that my logic and mindset have not been faulty. You six are careful and well thought-out fellows and yet you too have been banished from that fellow's blog.

Anvilcloud, Just Let Me Be Me, Jonathon, and Mike.... thank you for the advice concerning the CD-RW problem I have had. This upcoming week is the first week of the Fall semester, so I may not get to try out your suggestions until Thursday or Friday, but I will definitely use your advice and report back on my findings.

I am not sure what to do concerning that fellow's blog. As an educator (a professor as the name of this blog suggests), it pains me when people have significant miscommunication and misunderstanding. I have worked my entire adult life in trying to communicate with others about topics so that we can learn from eachother. Some of the time, my efforts are rather traditional.... I do sometimes have a traditional, large lecture course where I must simply give and describe information to students. However, in most classes, I strive to create an interactive, hands-on, environment where information is shared and discussed. Additionally, in some of the upper division undergraduate and in virtually all of the graduate courses I teach, I try to create an environment that is usually called a seminar. It is a beautiful sort of classroom model for having a true dialogue amongst peers..... be they students, faculty, or others in the community. When I have a seminar course, it usually is the best learning environment that can arise for all concerned... the faculty, the students, and the administration..... everyone learns, everyone is filled with satisfying new knowledge and ideas, and everyone feels their efforts were well spent.

Perhaps it is naive of me, but this "seminar" sort of environment is how I view the BLOG world. In the typical BLOG environment, the writer of the blog is the "facilitator" or the "professor" who guides the general direction of the effort in this environment with his/her words and ideas. Yet (at least in my view), the people who write in the COMMENTS section are equally if not more important to the success of the seminar endeavor. The commenters have a dual role of both "students" and "teachers". They are students of the ideas of the original blog writer, but more importantly, they are also "teachers" of the writer of the blog so he/she can grow and develop and expand himself! I truly relish the comments I have been kind enough to receive and freely admit you have all helped me to grow and think more.

So, what does this mean about the fellow who has grave misunderstandings of me? Well, as an educator, I have a dogged determination to try to help this fellow see an alternative view. Therefore, I shall continue to write, well-written, kind, and intelligent comments for him. However, as it is likely that the fellow will delete them perhaps without even reading them, I shall also post my comments in my own comment section of my blog so others may read them. If others would like to do the same that is fine by me. What I would suggest you do (and what I plan to do myself) is to cut and paste the following on the top of the comment you wish to post that was something you posted from the other fellow's blog:

This comment is simply a copy of a comment I made on thehomelessguy.net blog . It is being archived here for you to view if desired:

[copy of your comment on the other blog]

Thank you again, for all your comments and suggestions. Please continue to write so we may all continue to learn from eachother.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home