The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, July 30, 2004

It is times like these that I begin to feel more aware of the mix of our gutteral, animal nature and our emotions. When life is at a fairly even keel, it is easy to view our emotions as distinct from our nature, but when times are very troubled, it is all too aparent that our physical, animal self and our emotional complex are intimately intertwined.

As I continually try to be a strong rock of support for my family during these horrendous times, I can feel the stress hormones course rapidly through my arteries and veins making my physical self prepared for the imminent hardships that is part of life at these times.

Being an honest, hard-working man, means I must help support my family emotionally, physically, and in all other ways during this time of hardship. However, I need support as well. But I cannot falter in supplying the needs of my family, so I find my solace and support in other ways.

The most honest, and stable, and supportive friend I can count on when I must be of strong resolve and support for my family is not even a person. It is my dog. She allows me to vent my pain, and my saddness, and yet does not become fearful or lose faith. She is still devoted to me. In many ways she is the reason I can be so strong for my family.

Another vital tool I have in my aresenal to try to cope with the horrors that befall my family currently is my trusty cadre of briar pipes. The harsh, thick smoke is a true nourishment to my mind and spirit. The hearty pipe tobacco smoke saturates my mind and body and can dissipate and dimish the raging stress hormones to more tolerable levels.

Without my pipes and my dog, I do not think I could survive the stress. And without surviving the stress, I could not help my family by being a rock of support for them. Therefore, my dog and my pipes are keeping my family together during this time.

Plus a few stiff drinks at bed to help me sleep.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home