The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, September 05, 2004

The Power of Music

The power of music is so very profound. While I do not listen to an enormous number of hours of music each day, I think that physiologically and psychologically my own body is very attuned to music. For me, different types of well developed music can alter my mood, elevate my spirit, or stimulate my physical self.

Much like my pipe is a spice to add texture and depth to my experience, music can and does (for me) add texture and depth. I am a fan of many diverse musical styles.... I listen most frequently to classical music, but I also have a fondness for classic rock, jazz, and movie/theatrical scores. The majority of artists in these genres are enjoyable to me.

Even in genres of music I do not have wide ranging passion for, I usually can find a few artists in each category whom I enjoy immensely. Country music, for example is not a genre I find overly stimulating, but I do GREATLY enjoy Willie Nelson. Rap is another venue I do not find widely appealing to my tastes, but I have enjoyed songs from both Ice-T and also Eminem. I am fortunate compared to many, for being in academia, and a reasonably popular professor, I am invited to frequent graduate student and undergraduate student parties where I am able to keep abreast of what is currently popular. So, over the years, I have likely been exposed to a very wide range of music.

Perhaps in my next post I shall list a few of my favorite artists in the major genres I listen to.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home