The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

.
Gin is Very Pleasant

Brief Side Note: The experimental protocol mentioned yesterday seems to still be progressing positively. More details as they arise.

As I have said before, I tend to be a man who lives life by behaving in predictable, routine ways. I believe that for most things in life, a particular set of stimuli will lead to a particular response... this is the basis of a psychological construct called "Operant Conditioning". Sometimes, however, I have patterns and routines that I myself am not aware of. The case in point today is concerning gin... that beautiful libation that makes one feel as if they are walking in the midst of a pine forest because of the crushed juniper berries that the alcohol is infused with.

Well, the routine that I had not perceived previously is that when I drink liquors, probably 99+% of the time it is either whiskey or gin (beer is not a liquor (it is an alcoholic malt beverage) and is in another category). The odd aspect is that I have never been aware of the pattern I display in terms of which liquor I choose to consume, until now:

It appears my pattern is to consume whiskies when I am in settings that are casual and non-formal. Likewise it appears that when I am in a more formal setting, I invariably drink gin.

It is an interesting pattern. For example, at business lunches for the University, at weddings, at formal parties, it is my custom to drink gin and tonics. The drink is both pleasantly powerful, and also very refreshing in flavors. On the other hand, when I am talking with family & friends, when I am visiting with my elderly father-in-law, or after I have gone golfing/bowling etc... I invariably drink whiskey... either mixed with 7-Up or water, or I drink straight shots of the liquor.

I am not sure why the above pattern occurs. However it is interesting.

Any thoughts as to why this pattern may exist would be interesting to hear and enjoyable to discuss.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home