The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

.
Advent

Today is December 1st. And while we Catholics celebrated the first week of the Advent season at mass this past weekend, December 1st has always been when my own mind begins to feel the start of this new religious year. As a scientist and professor, people often find it surprising that I follow a religious paradigm. As for me, I see no conundrum in being of a scientific mindset and at the same time following a religious faith.

For me, the Roman Catholic faith offers me and my family a philosophical framework upon which to base our lives. Do we feel forced or compelled to uphold doctrinal issues of the Roman Catholic faith? No. Instead, what I and my wife feel and what I hope we have instilled in all of our children is the sense that there is a valuable reason, purpose, outcome and true logic in the philosophical teachings of our faith. By thinking about, reasoning through, and contemplating the pressing social and personal issues of the day from a standpoint of the philosophical framework of the Roman Catholic faith, our family can better acquire insight into their own individual decisions. For me, I cherish the philosohpies of my faith and find a true logic in them that is in true harmony with my understanding of our natural world through science.

Therefore, I have been quietly contemplating how I may work to become a better person in this upcoming year. As always, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home