The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

.
Professor Kinbote... I presume? Or is it Professor Pnin?

Thank you, Guy, for your wonderful comment comparing my blog to Pale Fire! It caused me to roar with laughter and delight! I was glad I was in my back office when I read your comments, for I could not contain myself and being back there, did not attract any unwanted attention.

A perfect comment, I must add, for it not only tickled my funnybone, but at the same time gave me pause and the impetus to step back a bit to examine my writings here in a different light. You may be right and are very astute to suggest my efforts here align with Professor Kinbote. Perhaps the self analysis route of my writings has created in me a rather self-flagellating, Dr. Phil-esque sort of mindset?

While I can truly see how I may be compared to Professor, Kinbote, I think perhaps I see my own self, when I peer deep within, to more akin to Professor Pnin, in the Nabokov work of the same title. Professor Pnin, is to me a rather "George Castanzea-esque" sort of bumbling everyman... a man who has big dreams, hopes, and aspirations, but basically is little more than a pitiful bum slaving away at life, always alternating beliefs of grandeur with despair.

Thank you again, Guy, and also thank all of you for your comments to me about whether or not I am condescending. A special note for Shaded... in case he did not see my reply to him in the comments section:

I actually did not mean my post to sound condescending toward my students. On the contrary, I actually myself find "American Idol" to be mildly entertaining and watch the program semi-regularly when I am not preoccupied with other matters.

I would hope that my general tone and demeanor is not condescending, but you have been the second person to suggest that in the last few months. It is indeed interesting to gain new insight into myself by your and other's comments. I think I shall make a post about this today actually.



PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home