The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

.
Now I Lay Me...


Yesterday, on the day of the week I stay later at the hospital (I leave around 8:30pm on this day), I went home to find my sister-in-law over and my wife working on heating dinner for me. As has been our practice during this day of the week since my mother has been hospitalized, I usually eat very late, from leftovers from the regular dinner earlier. For reasons that are still unclear to me, my wife wanted me to sit and eat this leftover plate immediately when I walked in the door. I said I wanted to take a shower, relax a bit and I would eat (and reheat) the food later. This made her very angry and she did not speak to me the rest of the night.

Today, my wife still gave me the silent treatment. Until we went to mass that is. Then she told me she was angry that I did not "let her help me". Meaning she wanted me to eat when she wanted it, not when I was ready and relaxed enough to eat. I do not mind eating cold and/or reheated food. I do however, not like shoveling food into my mouth when someone wants, just because that is how she is "helping" me. I merely wanted an hour or so to decompress when I got home from a horrible day.

This evening, when I went to leave the hospital after visiting my mother, I put her inspirometer on the table beside here so she could use it... this angered her as she wanted it on the windowsill (where she would not have to use it). When I bent over her hospital bed and kissed her and said "Goodnight, I love you."

She said, "Not very much."

I left.

It was a beautiful day.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home