The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

.
Why Service?

A student I had last semester, and who knew of this site, wrote to me:

"Dr. [PipeTobacco], can you send me my final exam grade score and my lab[oratory practical] exam grade score so I can figure out how come you gave me a C. I thought i was doing alot better then that. Also, on your blog you talk about service being important. Why?"

To which I replied:

Ninety-nine times out of 100, if you were to ask a professor the above question, sir, you would receive a reply about a) it being Christmas, or b) you think I have my gradebook at home with me? But you actually are in luck, and I do have my gradbook in my briefcase. You earned a 63 on your final examination, and you earned a 59 on the second laboratory practical examination. These two scores combined with the other scores you earned in the semester gave you a percentage of points possible of 68%. Since 73% is the lowest percentage I have listed on my syllabus as is acceptable for a grade of "C", you can also see that your grade of "C" includes a rather hefty curve as well. Merry Christmas!

Now, onto your more valuable question... concerning service. I do not really know of any way in which our time here on this planet nor in this life can be lived more successfully. Even though I am not as successful as I would like to be, nor as successful as I think I should be... I do know for a fact, that I know of no more satisfying and pleasant feeling in life than to truly help another person or living thing. To serve others is to contribute to the greater good of what the potential is for life. Try giving of yourself in service, even if for a short while. I think you will quickly see what I mean.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home