The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

.
Tobacco & Tomatoes

G@P asked what I received for Christmas this year. I think I will use that inquiry as the focus for my post tommorrow (Thursday) so that I may be able to show images (if I can figure out the process to do so again).

I would be willing to wager that many reading my title for today would be scratching their head in wonder.... "What the hell is he thinking, today?!?" is what I presume many of you are thinking.

Yet, there is a method to my madness. Unless you are a biologist, it is extremely unlikely that you would know that the beloved tobacco plant and the equally beloved tomato plant are closely related. Both plants belong to the same family - Solanaceae. This is more commonly refered to as the "Nightshade" family of plants. I have read that some cultures in South America would smoke tomato leaves. I have never tried it myself, but it is an interesting idea.

There are several varieties of tobacco as well. Most pipe tobacco is made from Nicotiana tabacum, but in certain regions of the world, most notably in areas of Russia, a tobacco called Nicotiana rustica is grown. This species of the leaf is very robust and potent and enjoyable. It is popular in Russia, Poland, Hungary, and in much of Germany where people like their indulgences strong. I have had the pleasure of sampling this leaf and it is indeed a joy. There are another two species of tobacco commonly used for smoking. One, the common turkish tobacco is harsh, but not particularly powerful. The other is one I do not know well.

Smoking pipe tobacco is a great joy in my life. I am not sure, but I would likely find smoking tomato leaves could also be enjoyable. The only thing I have smoked other than tobacco, is catnip. I indulge in catnip in my pipe every once in a while to combat upper respiratory infections.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home