The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, June 25, 2007

.
Pancreatic Cancer

I found out yesterday evening that the husband of my cousin had passed away from pancreatic cancer. He was just 66 years old. He found out about his condition on May 23rd due to an emergency room visit to the hospital. He had been gearing up for his retirement, which officially began June 1st. He went downhill so quickly. His death was on June 23rd, one month to the day after he was diagnosed and only 23 days into his retirement.

I had run into his wife (my cousin) the day after he was diagnosed with the pancreatic cancer. We happened to run into each other at a greenhouse when my wife and I were out choosing plants for the yard. At that time the two of them were planning to fly to the Mayo Clinic to see if there was any new treatment that could be offered to him. Unfortunately when they arrived there... they were told, no, his condition was far too grave to offer any help whatsoever.

I feel sad for my cousin. I feel sad for their four children and their 5 grandchildren. His passing has also rekindled the meloncholy I have been feeling about my beloved mother's passing. I remember him at the funeral. He seemed perfectly fine. Now, sixteen weeks and one day later, he too has died. That is 113 days later.

His funeral is Wednesday.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home