The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

.
Delving, Developing, Damn Tired

As I had planned, I stayed busy as hell all day from the moment I stepped out of bed at 6:00am until now, just before I head off to the couch to read a few journal articles and one chapter in the novel I am reading. The non-stop activity has made me able to accomplish a great deal today, and I have not had a single moment for introspection, and hence have not felt sad. I am planning a repeat on Tuesday.

I have one question I would like to pose to you technically astute folks out there. I have an old, but reliable and easily used program to record scientific data. I have not used this for several years as my studies had shifted to another realm that made this program unneeded. However, I am hoping to utilize this program again as some of my older experimental designs will fit in well with my current thrust in research. However, there is a problem... the program was originally designed to run from the DOS 3.1 operating system. It was originally made upon 5.25 inch floppy disks. I have been able to convert the program over to a 3.5 inch disk, but I am concerned about finding a suitably old computer (it was originally made for the 8086 style machines that were prominent PRIOR to hard drives). I know that there has been a capability to run DOS based programs on machines through I believe Windows 98. However, I have been told that the timing mechanism (this program measures time) may be off on some forms of Windows with DOS that are newer than say DOS 5.0. Is this the case? And what my biggest question is.... if I were to buy a very old, use laptop (say a 100mhz machine that runs hopefully only Windows 95), would it be likely that my program would run on this machine given I have a DOS 3.1 disk and if so, would it likely measure time accurately?

Any help in the above array of questions would be greatly appreciated.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home