The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

.
A Grand Day! (Part 3)



[Please note, if you have not done so, and wish to read part one of this essay, please scroll down to the first "A Grand Day! essay.]


The observation I made of my father when he smoked his pipe made me quite curious. Up and until that point, my father's pipe smoking had always simply been a part of who he was... I never thought much about it, other than finding the aromas reassuring that all was well with the world. I had never given any thought as to why my father indulged in the pipe hobby... again it just seemed a part of him. But to notice the visible sense of relaxation/contentment in my father's face.... the gentle drooping of his moustache, the relaxation in his mouth and chin that quieted the bristling nature of his beard. Additionally, I could see in his eyes and eyelids, even behind his owlish glasses, a perceptable change, a greater sense of serentity, his brows became unfurrowed, his forehead relaxed.

Never having noticed this, obviously never having paid attention in my previous eight years, I found it very curious and interesting. I continued to watch him every time he pulled out one of his massive pipes and began the ritual of filling the bowl with crumbles and ignighting flame and leaf. Each time, the same indicators of calmness and relaxation washed over him and I found it amazing.

After a few weeks of observation, curiosity got the better of me and I began to contemplate trying out one of his pipes myself to see more preciesely what was occuring with my father during indulgence in the beautiful briar.

The challenge was.... how?!?

[Another good stopping point for now. Comments or suggestions are always appreciated.]

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an ex-smoker who smoked 20 years, let me comment that tobacco use in all its guises can be appealing, fraught with sensuous sensations, downright. However rich the imagery is in these well-written essays, your continued use of tobacco is insupportable by every bit of science we have and -- I'd like to say this gently but I haven't time: ludicrous in the face of your commitment to physical activity. The one single thing you could do for your health that would outweigh everything else you do is stop. And that's how, btw. Just STOP. The first few days will be hellish, you will live through them. Leslie

Thursday, 29 September, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, meant downright sexy.

Thursday, 29 September, 2011  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I agree with you, Leslie. However, it is an odd conundrum I have been grappling with.

The ephemeral, "romantic", and philosophical underpinnings of my feelings about the activity of pipe smoking *ARE* diametrically opposed to the scientific data in regards to the activity.

There are days when I firmly love and relish my pipes and pipe smoking. There are also days when a abhor the habit and abhor myself for engaging in it. And, there are days when I am stuck in the middle as well.

In some ways, I am hoping to find a way to stop vacillating back and forth between these disparate feelings.

Part of my writing these essays are to get my feelings out, and perhaps by doing so, I can develop a more consistent, less vacillating personal opinion about my indulgence in the pipe. If so, I may be better prepared to take some sort of action (such as quitting).

Thursday, 29 September, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

You should quit smoking, I should quit smoking, we both know that. So does that 90 year old up the street.

Well, actually, he doesn't give a shit cuz he's dying of something not related to smoking.

I went to pipes cuz it's so much cheaper than buying ciggs. If I quit smoking I'd fucking be perfect, then no one could stand me.

The last three women I lived with didn't smoke, but they didn't get all fucking bent out of shape cuz I did.

Oh well, maybe they put up with it cuz they loved my dick.

Thursday, 29 September, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

A woman that thinks a man has to not smoke to be sexy is one sad excuse for a woman.

Thursday, 29 September, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

He rolls off of her and lights up a cigarette and says, "You're right, Nancy, it's better when she doesn't talk."

Thursday, 29 September, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home