The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Herbivore, Carnivore, or Omnivore?










Leslie asked me if I was a vegetarian yesterday.  It is a question that I get asked fairly frequently in my blog world and also in my tangible, day-to-day world as well.  The short answer is NO, I am not a vegetarian.  However the full answer is far more complex.  Probably 95% of my diet would qualify as vegetarian.

For the last 10 - 15 years AT LEAST, and probably quite a bit longer, I have typically eaten only 2-3 meals a week that contain some meat.  The meat is mostly chicken or turkey.  Once in a while I will have fish.   And the portions of meat in these “meat meals” tends to be smaller on average as well.  I think it has been probably at least 2 years since I have eaten beef.  And, it has been at least 5 years since we have cooked beef at home.  The time lines in which I have eaten pork would be similar, with the caveat that I have had 5-10 pieces of pepperoni and 5-10 pieces of Italian sausage on pizza during the last few years.  I have had lamb on a gyro probably once a year. 

So, the reality is I eat relatively little meat.  Why?  Well, there are two factors.... a) I really just do not like the texture or flavor of pork or beef, and b) I just do not like the smell of beef or pork cooking, nor the smell of most meat cooking.  Chicken and turkey are exceptions.  They smell reasonably good while cooking. 

I hunt (and fish) for a variety of reasons.  The “high-brow” concepts for my hunting and fishing include a) since I do eat meat, and I am in favor of people eating meat if they like it, I should be a willing participant in the procurement of meat.  Hunting and fishing allow me to experience in a realistic fashion the costs of eating meat.  I think it is a much more honest route to take than to be an anti-hunting, anti-animal use person who buys hamburger or steaks for the grill in plastic containers, all neat and tidy.  When I have bagged a deer or caught fish, I was being a part of the circle of life that it REALLY takes to be a person who eats carnivorously or omnivorously.   Hunting is also a way to feel kinship with my relatives who have died, and my ancestors who had to hunt for survival.  As a biologist, hunting also allows me to be more realistically a part of the true environment and ecosystem as a living being who is anatomically designed to eat omnivorously. 

From a more colloquial perspective, when I go fishing or hunting this year, it will be more for the camaraderie and fun.  At deer camp this coming November, the hunt will likely be a bit of a misnomer for me, as I will likely only spend a short time in the woods this year. I *will* have my license, and my rifle will be cleaned and ready but, I am not particularly interested in "bagging a buck" this year. If I were to spot a true prize rack on a buck, I would be glad to get a beautiful trophy mount of the head to put in my den, and I would donate the cleaned venison to the homeless shelter. However, the reality is that I am not grandly fond of venison. 

However, I am very much in favor of hunting and feel as a person who does consume meat, that it is my responsibility to be a hunter. To be a meat eater, one should be willing to participate in the whole of the process to attain said meat. I think it is disingenuous for people to be anti-hunting yet they allow others to kill for them so they can buy their pre-packaged chicken, beef, etc. As a meat eater (again relatively infrequently... perhaps 2-3 times a week these days), I am very comfortable participating in the whole process of collecting meat for consumption. Deer hunting is one way in which I participate. Fishing, which I find more enjoyable of late, is another way to participate.

Now, you may ask, why the hell do I go to deer camp if I am not extremely interested in bagging a buck? Well, if you ask that question, you my friends, have never been to deer camp. Deer camp is a place where fellows can gather and shed the tedious trappings of modern society. No ties, no phones, no shaving. Instead, there is ample drinking, boisterous card playing, engorgement on unhealthy but delicious foods, a general slovenly attitude about appearance, and a helluva lot of good times, memories and fun. That is why I am looking forward to deer camp.

So, no, I am not a vegetarian.  I eat a some dairy and eggs.  And, I eat 2-3 meals a week that have some chicken, turkey, or fish.

PipeTobacco

 Today's (Wednesday's) Goal = 0 bowls   

Tuesday's [2/26] Goal = 0 bowls
Actual consumption (Tuesday) = 3 bowls



Walking Day 1620 / SOPS Day 0

33 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

Yeah, deer camp is fun, don't care if I get a deer or not, and haven't shot one for years.

I eat a fair amount of meat, mostly chicken and turkey but beef when I feel the need for some. My body asks for meat so I give it some.

Maybe in the Big Hole you can make us some stuffed peppers, iffin youse have a cast iron dutch oven in your camping gear. Can I have mine topped with bacon?

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Everything we eat is or was alive, there is no difference between the killing of a deer or a tomato. Vegetarians simply brandish knifes to slaughter their tomatoes.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger thimscool said...

How about chimps?

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Some folks eat them, some have even eaten us. Helen is strictly a meat and spuds gal, she complains about eating the little piece of lettuce in her Wendy's chicken sandwich but does so cuz she won't waste anything, she pretty much hates vegetables. Guess it works for her, she's ninety and in better health than the rest of us.



Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

yeah king, buy no one would mount a trophy tomato on their wall so there is a slight difference between killing a deer and harvesting a tomato.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Some things are trophy worthy and some things aren't. The first deer I shot was a nice four point, I had the horns mounted.

Grow a really nice tomato? Take a picture of it and frame it.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

And it's not just a man thing, a lot of women here have their own mounted trophy's.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Slaughter a beautiful tomato and no one complains, slaughter a beautiful deer and the weirdo’s come out of the woodwork. For a while, then they wander off to eat some store bought pork they can pretend wasn’t killed because they didn’t see it. It won’t even occur to them to wonder how many humans the pig ate. Hahahaha

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger Leslie said...

Sounds like all you're missing at deer camp are beer steins and busty wenches. How modern.

If you were killing a buck with your bare hands, your logic might be more palatable.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Many deer camps do have beer steins and busty wenches. We'z modern ass hell.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

leslie makes an excellent point of slaughtering the buck with your bare hands.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger thimscool said...

That's true. You must also be stark naked and half starved, or else it's cheating.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

You do it your way and we'll do it our way, with motor-homes, campers, etc, etc.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger Leslie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger Leslie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

The king will not engage with the peon for the sake of the argument she would like to start, the king has better things to do.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger Leslie said...

Did you know Wendy's puts sand in their chili as an anti-caking agent?

MMmmmmmmm.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger Leslie said...

I was being a part of the circle of life that it REALLY takes to be a person who eats carnivorously or omnivorously. Hunting is also a way to feel kinship with my relatives who have died, and my ancestors who had to hunt for survival. As a biologist, hunting also allows me to be more realistically a part of the true environment and ecosystem as a living being who is anatomically designed to eat omnivorously.

If this is a "that's life on the food chain" argument, it's negated by the fact you're carrying a rifle. Truly.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

the king wears his crown well.

the king hunts, all others poach.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Actually, I've made it pretty clear that I haven't done any hunting for years, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying camps and the company in them.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Obviously there are certain kinds of people not invited to our camps, we don't want them raining on our enjoyable time with their foolish arguments. They can attend PETA meetings and such things as that.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Of course in the Big Hole us barbarians are going to murder some fish, we're just not keen on eating them alive.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Leslie:

You are correct (at least on certain levels) in saying that killing the buck with my bare hands would be more appropriate. Yet, that really is not possible for humans for the most part. Neither is it possible for a human (realistically) to kill a cow or a pig with his/her bare hands, but that does not negate that millions of people eat deer, cow, or pig. So, I grant, that you are correct about that aspect.

However, humans evolved into bipedal organisms and as such have used their arms/hands and brain to devise and utilize tools that is beyond the capabilities of their braun. We do this in virtually every facet of our lives, from food gathering, to typing on the computer, to driving or bicycling to a far destination. To have tools that extend our reach or capabilites is a human characteristic.

If I were to ever get a big buck, I would be delighted to have it taxidermied (the head, anyway) and mount it in my den. I do not view it as a position on virility. Instead, I view it as an homage to our recent ancestry and tradition. Most all of us had recent ancesters who ate meat, and hunted that meat that they consumed. And, as a biologist, I think a well done taxidermy looks really nice as well. It is not particularly likely that I will ever bag a big buck, or any buck for that matter, as I typically am more motivated to enjoy the other aspects of deer camp.


PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

I'm not interested in having anything taxidermied to put on show but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at tanning a hide and making a coat or pair of pants for the rendezvous'.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger Leslie said...

However, humans evolved into bipedal organisms and as such have used their arms/hands and brain to devise and utilize tools that is beyond the capabilities of their braun. We do this in virtually every facet of our lives, from food gathering, to typing on the computer, to driving or bicycling to a far destination. To have tools that extend our reach or capabilites is a human characteristic.

Just because we can doesn't mean we have to.

I find it odd you deleted my comment about the "prize rack" buck wanting to keep his regal head. That offended you? You were proud of the statement but not ok with me finding it vile? Kindly explain.

It is vile. Beheading an animal to use as wall decor is atrocious.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

mr frump - if you truly do feel a bond with nature may i suggest you travel to tibet and sign up for a sky burial.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

I'd slice off his cock and mount it and when friends came over I'd say, "Check out this bucks cock, he had one fine cock, yes?"

That reminds me, Pipe, who was that well known man in a the past that ended up with his pecker pickled? I posted about that some years ago but don't recall who it was, but he had one fine pecker, yes?

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Come to think of it, I've never seen a pickled pussy, in a jar anyway.

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

and that's why i call you the king!

Wednesday, 27 February, 2013  
Blogger Fidel Castro said...

BBC, I'm not surprised you would mount a buck's cock. And as I recall, you always have a can of WD-40 handy.

Thursday, 28 February, 2013  
Blogger thimscool said...

Sock puppet! Come in handy!

Thursday, 28 February, 2013  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Leslie:

I did not remove that comment because of the content about the "prize rack". That part of the comment was fine, it was because the comment also had negative aspects associated with and directed towards another commenter. That is the reason I remove any comments at all. Unfortunately, it is not within my abilities to edit out only segments of a comment.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Thursday, 28 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

I'm fine with whatever you want to delete Pipe.

Thursday, 28 February, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home