The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Inching Closer 



My wife and I are both inching closer to making "the decision".    It is starting to feel just a LITTLE BIT less frightening and overwhelming than before. 

I am trying to find a new science fiction author to read.  However, I am a little picky about the types of science fiction I enjoy.  I do not like fantasy style works like "The Lord of the Rings" or anything of that ilk.  I do not like war/battle stories as the major or minor focus.  I do not like science fiction that takes leaps of faith the require continual supension of disbelief about the characters continually defying the basic laws of physics (shape shifters and all that sort of malarkey).  The type of science fiction I really enjoy and want to find more of is the more psychological/sociological science fiction that is like "Brave New World" or "Farenheit 451" or "1984".

Any suggestions?  

PipeTobacco

Today's (Friday's) Goal = 3 bowls   

Thursday's [2/21] Goal = 0 bowls
Actual consumption (Wednesday) = 0 bowls


Walking Day 1615 / SOPS Day 10

9 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

Inch worms are interesting to watch when I'm camping.

It's not science fiction but I think you would enjoy the book by my friend. THE ACCIDENTAL PEACEMAKER, by George Lindamood.

I don't think you should smoke any bowls today, just enjoy the drinks and bullshit.

Friday, 22 February, 2013  
Blogger BBC said...

Oh, I just started reading THE BIG DIG, to early to tell if I'll get into it and finish it.

Friday, 22 February, 2013  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

harry turtledove's world war series! in the balance etc. i'm currently reading it for the 3rd time.

check it out, an alternative history where aliens plan to invade earth whilst world war 2 rages. the only problem is they sent a probe to earth 800 years in the past and all their plans were based on invading a planet that was pre-industrialization. they have a tough time getting their heads around hitler's policy on jews etc.

Friday, 22 February, 2013  
Blogger thimscool said...

VALIS, by Philip K. Dick.

Friday, 22 February, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest pilgrim,

Turtledove describes the Lancaster Bomber as having a ball turret, something which never appeared on a Lancaster, ever! It was used on the American B-17 Flying Fortress.

Therefore?

I will not read his inaccurate garbage. I'd sleep with his Flight Leader Teerts though - he's a war hero!

Friday, 22 February, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"......The type of science fiction I really enjoy and want to find more of is the more psychological/sociological science fiction that is like "Brave New World" or "Farenheit 451" or "1984"......"

"......Any suggestions?....."

I recommend the Spirits Doings archive.
Delete me if you will, but this is funny.

Friday, 22 February, 2013  
Blogger austere said...

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v470/n7334/full/470430a.html

http://swapnawrites.com/my-creative-writing/short-stories-essays-humor-pieces/

I'd strongly recommend Swapna Kishore, a blog friend. She writes brilliant SF

Saturday, 23 February, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the Spirits Doings Archive:

Okay, admittedly, there's not much in the way of science to be found there - in fact there is NO science to be found there at all, but, to the author's credit, he makes up for this oversight by including an astronomical amount of fiction for the reader's enjoyment.

Saturday, 23 February, 2013  
Blogger harry said...

Carlos Castaneda

A Yaqui Way of Knowledge

A Seperate Reality

Journey To Ixtlan

Saturday, 23 February, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home