The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, February 19, 2018

Day 6

Well, I did choose to make refraining from my pipe my Lenten Vow.  In order to do this, I made the vow specifically to not smoke pipe tobacco.  Well, I made this vow to not smoke tobacco,  But, in order to try to do this in a way that was not punishing to others (I wanted to do this without anger or frustration.) I decided to allow myself the use of an "e-device" and/or nicotine lozenges if I felt I needed to.  But, I also decided to only allow the use of those devices in my established pattern of what were my four primary pipe smoking times each day.... morning, after returning from work, at the start of the evening, and prior to bed.

I have been successful thus far and this is my 6th day.  It has not been easy for me.  I guess that is to be expected, since I am trying to learn to not do something I have relished doing for so many decades.  But, I have been doing it.  The "e-device" and the lozenges have been only a modest support.

It is very interesting for me to note that I had anticipated that the (up to) four usages of the support would have been sufficient for me to not have the desire to smoke my pipe.  I reasoned in my mind that they would give the nicotine that supposedly was why I smoked a pipe.   This is not really the case. 

There are, of course, psychological and emotional reasons why I have smoked a pipe.  I knew that the nicotine support would NOT address those.  However, from a chemical/psychoactive basis, I thought the nicotine support would cover those aspects, but they do not.  It makes me wonder if there have always been other chemical/psychoactive components in pipe tobacco smoke that I found enamored to?  I have searched for other possibilities in various on-line resources but none have been listed from anything I have read.  But, even when I do use a nicotine support, I do not feel that same contentment, that same pleasure, that same relaxation, that same quieting of my mind that I have always found from indulging in pipe tobacco.  It is interesting and perplexing to wonder what it may be.

Yet, at this moment, I am going to persevere.  I hope to unlearn my prior behaviors.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger AgSweep said...

Perhaps the comfort and contentment is ritual related. Have your tried puffing on an empty pipe? Sounds silly I know but any port in a storm.

Monday, 19 February, 2018  
Blogger David P. said...

But if you are successful, to what will you change your nom-de-internet?! LOL

Monday, 19 February, 2018  
Blogger David P. said...

Seriously tho, AgSweep may be correct. You may need to find another "ritual" to supplant the one you are trying to stop. As a Catholic, what about praying a Rosary, perhaps just a decade? The handling of the beads, the mental focus on the prayers, may help assuage the transition.

Monday, 19 February, 2018  
Blogger JACK said...

Now in week 51 of no cigarettes for medical reasons but getting by using a JUUL vape device. It has plenty of nicotine but, completely agree--something is missing! But--good luck. I will pray for you.

Monday, 19 February, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home