The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Diversion


Just a brief diversion for me today:

1.  Yes, I still miss my pipes and pipe tobacco.
2.  Yes, I am still persevering.
3.  Yes, I ran my five miles today.

But, due to a lot of anxiety I feel about work, yesterday afternoon I ended up spending some time dawdling and daydreaming to try to avoid the things I was anxious about.  So, what did I think about?!???

Even I find this odd and amusing:

I thought about CANNON.

Cannon was a truly wonderful television show that started in the very early 1970s (1971, I believe).  It was a both wonderfully serious AND comedic detective drama for its time.  I watched it faithfully. William Conrad was the star of the series and he did a wonderful job as the main character.  Even though I never had the guts for such a job myself, I have always liked and daydreamed about the life of a detective, be it a private eye or a police detective.  I tend to like most detective dramas on television and movies, and I read many books of detective fiction.

Cannon as a character, however, has always had a special place in my heart.  His success in his career was always a bit inspiring to me.  He did great crime solving, and yet I also appreciated he was an "every-man" sort of character as well.  His physique was somewhat on the "girthsome" side which was akin to my own physique.  And, added to that, he was a venerate pipe smoker through the series as well! 

I also found out Cannon is now being shown in reruns on MeTV.  I am going to have to plan to record some episodes relive the wonderful experience of this show.  

7 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

We never watched Cannon but I too enjoy the more light-hearted type of crime series. We've been browsing through Netflix and it's very hard to find anything that isn't just grim.

Well done on your perseverance.

Friday, 23 February, 2018  
Blogger Sharon said...

You can buy the whole series on DVD on Amazon. It's on my list.
Good luck with your lent vow.
XX

Friday, 23 February, 2018  
Blogger Jono said...

If you are running 5 miles a day I doubt you re as "girthy" as Cannon.

Friday, 23 February, 2018  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I used to be, however. I used to be pretty darn close to 300 pounds.

Friday, 23 February, 2018  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Yes, but you're darn far from 300 pounds now, thanks to your running program and your keeping at it in all kinds of weather. I really admire that.

Friday, 23 February, 2018  
Blogger BBC said...

Don't recall ever hearing about it but I have never been on cable or a satellite and an antenna is worthless here.

Tuesday, 27 February, 2018  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Oh my goodness! I do remember Cannon although I doubt that I have thought of the show for maybe more than 40 years. As soon as I saw the picture though ...

It was surprise to hear from you. Maybe I should add you somehow.

Monday, 05 March, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home