The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

128 / 3560 / 104


A bit of number crunching for me today:

1.  I counted it out today, and today is the 128th day I have refrained from smoking a pipe.

2.  I have now reached 3560 days in a row without missing a single day in terms of walking or running at least 5 miles (8 km) a day.  That will very soon be 10 complete years, if I make it.

3.  I have also reached 104 weeks in a row (2 complete years) of running a minimum of 28 miles (45 km)a week.   

*  *  *  *  *

While I feel contented and happy about the 3560 days in a row and I feel the same about the 104 weeks in a row, I am finding that the increasing number of days away from the pipe is not really having the same motivating effect.  In terms of the exercise, it is somewhat exciting to see that number grow.  Having the number grow in terms of refraining from my pipe... meh.  It seems only a number.  I had *hoped* that the increasing number would help motivate me in that regard.

That said, I am still persevering in that pursuit.  There are some days that are relatively easy, and there are some days that are definitely more challenging in regards to my pipe.  I do think about my pipes everyday, however.  I wonder if that will change or not? 

*   *   *   *   * 

1.  I am thankful for the rain.  Today, it was 57 degrees and raining at 5am when I went running.  Even though it may not seem particularly enjoyable, for me, I often find a light or moderate rain rather enjoyable if the temperature is ok.   I wear a baseball cap while running and this dissipates much of the rain.  Even so, my glasses do get wet and spotted rather quickly, but typically I can still see well enough. 

2.  I am thankful for my family.  Even though there are challenges that we face, and it seems as if we do not get to spend much time together lately, they are the most important parts of my life. 

3.  I am thankful for oatmeal... hell, I am thankful for all breakfast cereals.  I would rather eat cereal for breakfast than any "fancy" sort of breakfast you could name. A lot of folks in my region will imagine a "big breakfast" of eggs, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns.... or more fancy, something akin to Eggs Benedict or quiche.  But not me.  When I have my druthers.... a luxurious breakfast would be a big bowl of oatmeal with raisins,  a piece of cinnamon toast, some baked apple chunks, and perhaps a bit of yogurt or cottage cheese. 

PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger MRMacrum said...

I am pushing around 190 days without tobacco in my life. And like you, I am not impressed with how I feel about it. I miss it terribly, though nothing will ever get me to roll another cigarette.

As to being "thankful" for oatmeal, well, I guess so. I'd rather be thanking whoever put that three egg ham omelet in front of me.

Wednesday, 20 June, 2018  
Blogger Forsythia said...

I like both kinds of breakfasts. Today we had a weird breakfast. Steamed kale, watermelon, and raisin toast.
The reason for the kale and watermelon is that they were getting old! The kale was starting to turn yellow and the melon was getting mushy. There's just the two of us, so sometimes it's hard to keep up with our purchases. We are trying not to waste food. The raisin toast was wonderful, the watermelon was OK, and the kale---well, I'm glad it's gone.

Thursday, 21 June, 2018  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hah! I normally like kale.... but when it starts to yellow..... blech

Thursday, 21 June, 2018  
Blogger Simone said...

I love oatmeal with added fruit and spices. I am trying to make my own sugar free granola but it is challenging to find a recipe!

Thursday, 21 June, 2018  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

You are a better man than I Gunga Din. If I get thirty minutes a day exercise I celebrate it.
I have been off tobacco for thirty-six years; but I'll smoke a joint and bless you.
the Ol'Buzzard

Thursday, 21 June, 2018  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You've got me hankering for the kind of breakfast that you don't hanker for.

Saturday, 23 June, 2018  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

congratulations..

Saturday, 23 June, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home