The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Moby Dick


It has been probably 30-35 years since I read Herman Melville's "Moby Dick".  I remember the book fondly, but of course, details are a bit sketchy. 

Just before Thanksgiving this year, there was a visiting scholar brought in by one of the Departments in the English building who presented a talk about his academic study of this classic work.  I attended his lecture. It was a strong, detailed analysis of the symbolism of struggle within the text of the work. 
His talk encouraged me to contemplate a lot.  I am thinking I may reread this work again.  I suspect I will have an older man's perspective this time which may shape my perceptions of Melville's words differently than I thought previously.   And, I remember there was a lot of mentions of pipes and pipe smoking. :)

I will see if our Barnes and Noble has a copy... or if not, I will perhaps order a copy on Amazon.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger billy pilgrim said...

i re-read it a few years ago and that lousy whale didn't show up until the end of the book.

Thursday, 29 November, 2018  
Blogger Jacqui said...

Hi Pipe, I've never read Moby Dick, I'm rather ashamed to say, but I've seen and heard many references to it. In fact, I don't really read fiction at all, it's always non-fiction. I've just been reading a review of 'Such a long journey' by Rohinton Mistry, from Polly at https://oliveandpru.blogspot.com/ and it struck me, that perhaps I should reintroduce fiction to make my reading choices somewhat more rounded.

Thursday, 29 November, 2018  
Blogger Peter said...

I was auditing an American Lit. class at my local college and we read selections of Moby Dick and I loved it. At the end of the course I read the whole book and loved it even more. It is one I will reread often. And for nonfiction readers there is a lot of real information about whales and whaling.

Saturday, 01 December, 2018  
Blogger BBC said...

I have no interest in reading it again.

Monday, 03 December, 2018  
Blogger jenny_o said...

I've never read this classic and that is something I should remedy. I hope you enjoy it just as much as when you were younger, albeit in perhaps a different way (as you predict).

Monday, 03 December, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home