The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Light


In my Northern Climate, Daylight Savings Time is always a cause for celebration.  It is akin to magic.... it is the start of the time where it remains light until often 10:30pm or so at the peak of the Summer.  It is so, so very invigorating and enjoyable. 

In an opposite way, the return to Standard Time is a horrendous crashing to Earth, a shattering of resolve, and demoralizing endeavor.  The length of day has already been creeping downward, more and more palatably each day for months..... then in one fell swoop..... CRASH!!!! Suddenly, it is dark as hell at 5:15 and there is another month and a half of it getting even WORSE!  The start of Standard Time is always challenging.... it begins the many months where I end up getting up in the dark, and not getting out of work until it is dark.  And, my damn work hours do not change one iota.

This is the time of year when Seasonal Affective Disorder rears its ugly head if you are not careful. 

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That early dark can be a bit dispiriting.

Thursday, 15 November, 2018  
Blogger jenny_o said...

It's strange, I don't usually mind the time change or the early darkness that just gets worse along with it, but this year I do. Maybe it's age or maybe it's my daughter and her family moving away. Whatever it is, I don't like it!

Thursday, 15 November, 2018  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I just wish they'd leave it be..quit switching back and forth.

Friday, 16 November, 2018  
Blogger Jane said...

It's always great when we spring ahead!

Friday, 16 November, 2018  
Blogger Jacqui said...

I don't like it when the clocks go back, either. Like you, I come home from work in the dark (at the moment it's just getting light when I leave in the morning, but soon that will end soon). My mum, who is 88, calls this time of year 'the dark days before Christmas' and I agree. I don't particularly like driving in the dark, so that's a negative, and the low light levels seem to drain energy and sedate mood. Once I'm at home, though, I don't mind being hunkered down. I think I eat more though. :)

Saturday, 17 November, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home