The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, December 27, 2018

A Few Questions to Ponder from Pat

A few days ago, Pat posed a number of questions for me to think about.  Because I do not know how to contact Pat directly, I thought I would attempt to answer some of the questions here:

"Does your faith teach you that you should be the best "you" that you can be? "

My faith simply guides me to try to be a person who works to live and practice the "best" qualities I can muster within myself.  For me, this means I need to strive to be kind.  I need to strive to be considerate and respectful.  I need to work to help others.  I need to try to understand other's perspectives and to take into account their point(s) of view.  I need to try to put others needs ahead of my own.

"...WHO CAN JUDGE what is "lazy" and what is "respecting your limits" or "coping with circumstances" or "tending to your own weaknesses before you can help others"? "

That is a very intriguing question.  I guess the answer is that I have to be my own Judge.  I guess in the greater scheme of day-to-day living, I am the person who has to provide the measurement scale upon what is my grade related to my actions.  In so doing, I rate myself on a scale of what I have the potential to do versus what I actually do.  I should try to approach my potential in helping others, or in being kind to others, but I often do not do so.  

"Does your faith teach you that there is no such thing as a person who has "done enough"? Even the saints make stupid mistakes at times, and there is always one more leper or indigent or broken person who could have been helped. Isn't the difference between saints and sinners ultimately that the former take full advantage of the Mass and the sacraments? Isn't the ultimate difference that the saints on planet Earth, members of the Church Militant, stop worrying and instead put their trust in their Savior and in the Church Triumphant?"

Very interesting thoughts.  It is true that I should more deeply integrate my thoughts into Mass.  And, the idea of "not worrying" is one indeed that is something I desperately need to work on.  I am a worrier by nature and I know that is not how I should be.  There have been several times (to varying degrees of success) where I have tried to force myself to avoid and not worry.  But, it is extremely easy to fall back into that pattern of rumination and worry.   

"Also, I can't help but notice that Old Saint Nick in your photo is enjoying a pipe. Pipe-smoking doesn't guarantee sainthood, but neither is it a sin."

The image I used for that day's writings is one of my very favorite Rockwell images of St. Nick.  I have one capped pipe of that same shape (it is not nearly as beautifully ornate, but it does remind me of the one St. Nick has).   Your statement that pipe smoking is not a sin is actually a VERY important statement.  I do not have enough time to flesh it out fully here, but I will soon.... my discussion with a visiting priest named Fr. Keith, who helped me think about that very issue.  

"If you go back to your pipes at some point, whether days or years from now, I hope you have learned that you are a rational actor with tremendous will-power, not a "lazy, worthless lout." "

Admittedly, I *do* think about my pipes several times each day.   I do vacillate in my mind about the decision to fast from them quite regularly as well.  It seems silly and foolish for me to carry on about them all the time, so I do not talk about them publicly anymore to any real extent.  

The only time I speak of the are occasionally when a person will ask my how long it has been, and I will reply, or a person I have not seen in a long while will ask me "Where is my pipe?" to which I will briefly answer.  But, I try to not talk about it publicly anymore as it feels redundant, and foolish, and too self focused.  

I am sure most everyone here is tired of my speaking about them.... but I am leaving this space as my one venue to speak my mind about what whirls and swirls around in my neurons without filter.  It is a place for me to go, where I can expound about what I am feeling in my core.  And, for better or worse, it has been as of late, about my pipes.  

"...you have deprived yourself of something pleasurable for more than ten months. However, if you go back to your pipes because you rationally conclude that you are more wholly "you" as a pipe-smoker, please don't take that decision as failure. One way or another, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!"

I am often times not sure what is "wholly me" any longer.  I guess in some fashion that is what I am trying to understand.  Thank you for your wishes!  I hope that you too have had a great Holiday Season!

PipeTobacco 

3 Comments:

Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I like these question and in past I been involved in few meme of when people ask question.
Coffee is on

Thursday, 27 December, 2018  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I like being a pagan..it's not complicated

Thursday, 27 December, 2018  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I don't think you need a faith to be a decent person. But, people are complicated and too often our actions come from the reptilian part of our DNA.
the Ol'Buzzard

Friday, 28 December, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home