The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Running


I have not mentioned my running in a while (for which I am sure some of you may be relieved).  :)

However, I thought I could update you a bit.  I have now ran about 3,700 miles (fairly close to 6000km).  I am typically running around 30 miles a week.

Over the course of 2018, I got up enough gumption and overcame enough of my embarrassment to run in three different 5K road races.  My times have been pleasant for me with me getting through the 3.1 miles in about an 8:30 per mile pace.  One of the races actually gave medals for for runners in different age groups and I (surprised as hell) ended up getting 2nd place in my age group (I looked afterwards to make sure there were not JUST two runners in my age group.... there were actually about 15 or 16.

I am going to try to focus on running a few more 5K races in 2019, and I want to try to gear myself up for entering a 10K race sometime in 2019.  I have frequently ran the 6.2 miles when I am by myself on the trail, so in theory I should be able to do this.  But, for whatever reason, it really is a big struggle and worry for me to be "running" with other people who are actually runners!  There is a lot of embarrassment I have to work through and try to overcome.

And, truth be told... another worry I always have in the back of my mind is.... what the hell do I do if I have to go to the bathroom?!?!?!?   You may laugh, but it is a worry I have.  When I run on the trails I usually do at home, I  have had a small handful of occasions where the need to go became immediate.  On the course I run near my home, I know several locations where I can quickly conduct a "pit stop" if that sudden need arises.  But, with each of the 5K races I ran this year, I was consistently worrying about what I would do if that suddenly happened in the middle of the damn race.  Luckily it did not, but it was a true worry.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sometimes, I get a little envious. As I have probably said before, knee and feet problems basically put an end to running when I has 29. I could do games like tennis for about 20 years after that because the pounding was more sporadic.

Friday, 14 December, 2018  
Blogger jenny_o said...

That's not a laughable worry at all. If you ever find an answer (perhaps from other marathoners), please let us know. I have digestive issues, so this is always on my mind even when travelling in the ordinary way.

Sunday, 16 December, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home